Getting To Know You

Share this article

Getting to Know Trafalgar's Sales Manager - Lorraine Newport

Lorraine has come a long way having started her working life in a shearing shed, she now heads up sales for Trafalgar in Queensland while making her travel dreams come true on the side.

Lorraine has come a long way having started her working life in a shearing shed, she now heads up sales for Trafalgar in Queensland while making her travel dreams come true on the side.

1. How long have you been in the industry?

My entire working life. I left school on a Friday and started work on the Monday. No holidays for me it was straight into it. I started with one of New Zealand’s foremost travel companies as a junior and then worked my way into the industry.

2. What’s your most amazing travel experience?

I have had so many FIRSTS that make them all amazing but I guess the one that stands out is arriving in Portofino, Italy. My parents had a picture of it painted by a dear friend of theirs and I had looked at for many many years and said I have to go there one day… eventually I did. Amazing.

3. What’s the weirdest job you’ve ever had?

Working in a shearing shed. Not for the faint hearted. I hated it.

4. Wishlist of places yet to visit?

Vietnam is high on my wishlist. New York is there also and I am curious about Southern India and the Maldives.

5. How has working in travel changed you?

It has made me a citizen of the world. I was born and bred in New Zealand but have been fortunate to live in other countries and I have found that while I am always drawn to my homeland I am also comfortable living elsewhere.

6. What’s your biggest life achievement to date?

I attended the Tony Robbins Unleash the Power within and I along with many others actually walked across fire. It was the most amazing experience.

7. What’s one in-flight travel tip?

If you find it hard to sleep take a sleeping pill to help. You feel so much better with sleep.

8. What advice would you give an industry newbie?

Go with your heart in everything that you do. Understand that it is a privilege to be advising people on what to do for their holiday but listen to their needs first.

What’s your top tip to for travellers when choosing the right tour?