Karryon Luxury Takeover March 2024 side lock up
Karryon Luxury Takeover March 2024 side lock up
Home Travel Industry Hub

MOVERS & SHAKERS AT SURESAVE, QANTAS, SCENIC & MORE

Who got a new gig this week? Check out this week’s travel industry movers & shakers below or click here to check out last week’s new appointments.

Who got a new gig this week? Check out this week’s travel industry movers & shakers below or click here to check out last week’s new appointments.

1. Meet SureSave’s new Head of Agency Sales

Continuing in its practice of hiring strategic thought-leaders, SureSave is pleased to welcome Matt Endycott as its new Head of Agency Sales.  Matt’s new role at SureSave will see him drive sales and growth for the travel insurance company, which already insures 300,000 Australians every year.

Matt has more than 12 years of experience in the travel industry, working across brands including Virgin Australia, Insider Journeys and the Walt Disney Company.  He has an impressive record for implementing strategic change for businesses and brands.  Most recently, Matt was Head of Sales for Adventure World, a Travel Corporation brand.

In this position, Matt led a team of 14 direct reports across three brands. He was responsible for relationships and business plans for national and state based agent consortia.  Matt was also previously a National Account Manager for Virgin Australia, where he managed sales to the Wholesalers and Consolidators.

“I’m thrilled to join the team at SureSave, which is dedicated to meeting the needs of our valued travel agency partners and ensuring their travellers can venture out and explore the world with peace of mind.  I’m passionate about the importance of providing quality, Australian-based travel insurance, so I’m excited to join the team and I look forward to growing SureSave’s sales further,” said Matt.

2. Meet Tour Easts’ new GM Australia

Tour East Holdings has appointed Jeff Skinner to the role of general manager, Tour East Australia.

Announcing the news from Tour East Holdings, Singapore-based CEO & president, Shigeyuki Suzuki said Mr Skinner would take immediate responsibility for all aspects of the company’s Australian international inbound operation.

The role will also include responsibility for the company’s Indian operation into Australia.

Mr Skinner is well known on the Australian travel industry scene.

His previous appointments include general manager roles with Tourism Queensland, Territory Discoveries, the Sydney Aquarium Group and the Gazebo Hotel Group.

Mr Skinner was also head of marketing at Qantas & Viva Holidays’ ‘Readyrooms’ division.

His overseas experience includes a Managing Director role in the UK with Top Deck Travel’s wholesale division before he relocated to Australia to manage the company after it became part of the Flight Centre Travel Group.

Immediately prior to his appointment with Tour East Mr Skinner was director of the Dynamic Tourism Group and Chairman of the Global Tourism Network, organisations he founded in 2013.

Mr Suzuki said Mr Skinner’s experience speaks for itself.

“He is well respected on both the Australian and international travel scene,“ he said.

“More to the point he has a proven, results driven management background and we see him as being instrumental in consolidating Tour East Australia’s strong position in this key area of our business and further building growth.

Mr Skinner will be based in the company’s Kent Street, Sydney offices.

3. Meet Scenic’s new Sales Management Team

Scenic has announced two key management changes to its sales team, which will streamline service for its industry partners.

Effective immediately, Scenic’s National Sales Manager Emma Davie will step in to the newly created role of Commercial Sales Manager, while National Business Development Manager Rob Kalemba will take over from Davie as National Sales Manager.

Davie’s new role will see her manage consortia agreements, as well as product notifications and events, including information sessions and expos. She has been with Scenic for eight years, six as National Sales Manager, and prior to joining Scenic worked in the travel industry in both retail and corporate sales roles.

In his new role, Kalemba will manage the sales team and work with travel agent partners to maximise mutual sales growth. Kalemba has been with Scenic for five years, working as a Senior Business Development Manager, before taking on the national role, a position he also occupied in 2014. Prior to Scenic he spent 11 years in the retail travel industry.

4. Meet Qantas’ new Executive Team

The Qantas Group has announced a reorganisation of its executive leadership team to help the company keep delivering for customers and shareholders.

The changes among the direct reports to Alan Joyce are:

Jon Scriven (Group Executive of People and Culture) will retire after eight-and-a-half years at Qantas. Lesley Grant, currently CEO of Qantas Loyalty, will step into this role.

Jayne Hrdlicka will move from CEO of Jetstar Group to become CEO of Qantas Loyalty and Digital Ventures, which will now also include innovation.

Gareth Evans will move from CEO of Qantas International to become CEO of Jetstar Group.

Alison Webster, who is currently Executive Manager of Freight, Catering & Airports, will become CEO of Qantas International.

Olivia Wirth will take on responsibility for customer and digital strategy, in a new role of Chief Customer Officer. This is in addition to her existing responsibilities for Brand, Marketing and Corporate Affairs.

Andrew Finch will take on the responsibility for Office of the CEO in additional to his current responsibilities as General Counsel and Company Secretary.

Andrew David, currently CEO of Qantas Domestic, will also assume responsibility for Qantas Freight, Catering and Airports.

Mr Joyce said the retirement of Jon Scriven and the promotion of Alison Webster from within the business to the executive management group reflected renewal within a well-established team.

“Jon has been instrumental to the overall transformation of our business and has also driven the strategy to increase the engagement levels of our people, which are now at record levels,” he said.

“I’m pleased that we will be welcoming a new member to the Qantas executive team, with Alison Webster joining as the CEO of Qantas International.

“Alison has close to 30 years’ experience in aviation, including 13 at Qantas. She’s held senior executive roles across commercial, customer and operations here and with British Airways.”

Transition to the new structure will begin in November this year. The last change to the Qantas Group leadership team was in 2014.

5. Meet Expedia’s new Chief Executive

Expedia, Inc. has announced that its Board of Directors has approved the appointment of Mark Okerstrom, currently Chief Financial Officer and Executive Vice President of Operations, to succeed Dara Khosrowshahi as President and CEO of Expedia. Mr. Okerstrom will also join Expedia’s Board of Directors, and Mr. Khosrowshahi will continue to be a member of Expedia’s Board of Directors.

Expedia Chairman Barry Diller said, “We all wish Dara Khosrowshahi the best good fortune as Uber’s CEO. I think we are both proud that he leaves behind such a talented organization. Our Leadership Team, over 12 strong, is as substantial a group of executives as I’ve ever worked with. Prior to Dara leaving, Mark Okerstrom was his principal partner in operating the Company – and therefore this transition is as natural as water flowing down a snow-packed mountain. There was no other candidate that the Board considered. Under Mark’s leadership, surrounded by his excellent and tenured executive team, I’m confident we’ll continue to grow and prosper.”

Dara Khosrowshahi said, “Mark has been by my side through every major milestone in this Company for much of the last 11 years and I’m passing these reins into the best hands. He is a tireless, strategic, and steadfast leader who has pushed me to be my best self while having Expedia, Inc.’s best interests front and center at every step. I am incredibly excited to watch Expedia continue to flourish with his leadership.”

Mark D. Okerstrom has served as Expedia’s Executive Vice President, Operations, and Chief Financial Officer since September 2011, previously serving as its Secretary from October 2011 until April 2012. In his role as CFO, he held responsibility for all aspects of finance, including planning & analysis, accounting, tax, treasury, internal audit, procurement, real estate and investor relations, as well as corporate strategy and M&A for Expedia, Inc. Mr. Okerstrom’s role was expanded in 2014, adding responsibility for the Company’s eCommerce Platform Group which includes centralized technology, payments, risk, and global customer operations.

Mr. Okerstrom served as Senior Director, Corporate Development and Strategy, Vice President of Corporate Development and Strategy, and Senior Vice President of Corporate Development from 2006, when he joined, to 2011.

Prior to joining Expedia, Mr. Okerstrom was a consultant with Bain & Company in Boston and San Francisco, and worked with UBS Investment Bank in London. Prior to that, he practiced as an attorney with the global law firm of Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer in London.

Mr. Okerstrom holds an MBA degree from Harvard Business School and a law degree from the University of British Columbia.

Did we miss someone? Send us an email and let us know.