Getting To Know You

Share this article

Careseekers: Stood Down Qantas Staff Use This Time To Help Others

With so many travel industry staff out of work at the moment, it's beautiful to hear the positive things that have come out of the not-so-great situation, such as 'Careseekers'.

With so many travel industry staff out of work at the moment, it’s beautiful to hear the positive things that have come out of the not-so-great situation, such as ‘Careseekers’.

As Qantas employees across Australia are impacted due to COVID-19 and the subsequent government restrictions and border closures, digital care platform, Careseekers is helping them chart a new temporary flight path in their career. 

With an increase in demand for at-home and virtual support during these uncertain times, the company evolved its model to create a range of new initiatives for all types of care and needs.

Cue all the ‘people-are-amazing’, warm tingly feelings.

karryon-qantas-flight-attendant

This initiative has been able to open the door to employment opportunities for out-of-work Australians, such as Qantas staff, that can transfer existing skills into those that can evolve and diversify Careseekers’ existing model. 

“At Careseekers we are delighted to welcome Qantas staff to our community of care and support workers. We believe this talented and dedicated group of workers have many skills and attributes that are transferable to the aged care and disability support sector.” 

Marissa Sandler, Careseekers CEO

“We all trust Qantas staff to get us to our destinations when flying, and now you can bring that same trust into your home, on the ground. We are so pleased to be able to offer users of our platform access to this exceptional workforce and to continue to provide essential services to our community.” 

People doing wonderful things

IMG 20200316 112758 3 e1584321936417

Cabin Crew member”, Maria Miklenda said “I have worked in the hospitality and travel industry for over 40 years, most recently as an Onboard Manager for Qantas Airways. I have loved the opportunities provided through this career path and was devastated for the travel community when COVID-19 hit.”

“Fortunately, I have been able to transfer my skills into a new role with Careseekers, one that still allows me to interact with people of all ages and provide support, from social companionship to running errands. It is great to know I can make a difference.” 

Safety remains at the forefront of its services for clients, all workers on the platform are background checked and go through a registration process.

All workers are also required to complete thorough infection control training as delivered by the Government to ensure the strictest of hygiene and sanitisation measures when engaging in in-home care. 

If you’re interested in transferring your skills and becoming a carer, check out https://www.careseekers.com.au/carer.