Karryon Luxury Takeover March 2024 side lock up
Karryon Luxury Takeover March 2024 side lock up
Home Travel Industry Hub

Getting to know David Reid from TUI Marine

This week we get to know David Reid, TUI Marine's head of distribution shares his experience felling trees in Oregon with illegal Mexicans and dreams of visiting Nambia.

This week we get to know David Reid, TUI Marine’s head of distribution shares his experience felling trees in Oregon with illegal Mexicans and dreams of visiting Nambia.

1. How long have you been in the industry?

This year I will have been fortunate to have been in the tourism industry for 29 years with my first job as an Operations Assistant for a niche luxury long haul tour operator in England.

2. What’s your most amazing travel experience?

After all the years and travel I have undertaken very hard to say, although, I would have to say the Kimberley Region in WA is truly amazing. I have been fortunate to travel on True North and also via 4WD so seen both sides of this amazing part of the country. South Africa on Safari a close 2nd.

3. What’s the weirdest job you’ve ever had?

Felling trees in deepest Oregon with a crew of illegal Mexicans for 2 months!

4. What’s the first ever country you travelled to?

Nigeria with my parents but only 3 months old, however we then moved to the Solomon Islands and still have fond memories of the stunning remote islands, tremendously friendly locals (and interesting expats), amazing WW2 artefacts, great game fishing, where do I stop.

5. What’s your wish list of places yet to visit?

Patagonia, Namibia and the either the Antarctic or Arctic.

6. Who was your biggest mentor/influence growing up?

My parents who through my father’s work took me to some of the most interesting parts of the globe from an early age, and obviously giving me the travel bug!

7. How has working in travel changed you?

It’s given me a great appreciation of what a wonderful and diverse world we live in with so many equally passionate people who want to welcome and show you their part of the world. Never take anything for granted and live for today!

8. What’s your biggest life achievement to date?

Becoming GM of Qantas Holidays UK.

9. What’s one tip you always give to new cruisers?

Don’t try and do too much. As we charter private yachts and canal cruisers globally clients have the chance to conduct their own bespoke trips so they can visit small and unique area’s off the beaten track, when they want, and for as long as they want.

10. What’s your favourite cruise destination?

A fully crewed private yacht charter in Tahiti, truly heaven on water!

11. What advice would you give someone new to the industry?

Try and work in various departments of a business to understand and appreciate that without all those departments and respective staff with their skill sets, the company will not operate. Listen and learn, practical first-hand experience is the best.

Have a question for David on his travel experiences? Leave it below and we’ll get you the answer.

time_KarryOn

Getting to Know You is our good will gesture to promote the TIME program. The TIME program is focused on a Mentor/Mentee relationship that is ‘mentee-driven’. Mentors are drawn from the senior ranks of the industry and have generously volunteered their time and energy to the mentor process. They are matched to Mentees on the basis of non-conflicting business skills and experience that enables them to offer advice and perspective to the Mentee. The role of the Mentor is to hold their Mentee accountable and to offer challenging ideas that will inspire the Mentee, helping to building the individuals self confidence through praise, encouragement and constructive feedback.

If you are interested in joining TIME as a mentor or mentee visit their website