Karryon Luxury Takeover March 2024 side lock up
Karryon Luxury Takeover March 2024 side lock up
Home Travel Industry Hub

Getting to know Jemma Goddard, New Horizons

This week we get to know Jemma Goddard, Senior Product Development Executive at New Horizons.

This week we get to know Jemma Goddard, Senior Product Development Executive at New Horizons.

1. How long have you been in the industry, what and where was your first job?

I started as a Trainee Retail Travel Agent at an agency in Subiaco in 1998 and have been in the industry ever since. I now work for New Horizons as Senior Product Development Executive looking after the entire product range including the new India and Sri Lanka product we offer.

2. What’s your most amazing travel experience?

Travelling to India. It had been my dream destination and every moment in this country was an experience. The food, culture and sights are unlike anywhere in the world. The second I got home I wanted to go back again.

3. What’s the weirdest job you’ve ever done?

Not really weird but different to what I do now, before I was in travel I was a stable hand and I taught little kids and disabled children to ride horses. It was very rewarding and always fun.

4. First ever country you travelled to?

The first trip I remember was to Singapore, a stopover on the way from the UK when my family immigrated to Australia, I was 8 years old. I remember getting extremely sun burnt as we didn’t realise you could get sunburnt on a stormy, overcast day. Lesson learnt!

5. Wishlist of places yet to visit?

I recently ticked off the Maldives when I hosted a media famil – this was big for me! Other wish list destinations are definitely Africa and Peru.

6. Who was your biggest mentor growing up?

My Dad. Even as a single Dad we got to follow our dreams and didn’t miss out on anything. He made it happen, even making every kid’s dream come true with a visit to Disneyland in America. He’s truly an amazing man.

7. How has working in travel changed you?

Working in travel has allowed me to see more of the world than I ever dreamed of. Travelling to places that I wouldn’t have visited on my own and meeting like-minded inspirational people along the way.

8. What’s your biggest life achievement to date?

Owning my own home with my partner and starting the long hard task of renovating it ourselves.

9. What’s one in-flight travel tip?

Always carry warm socks in your handbag – flights tend to get quite cool. Need to warm up? Try a Bloody Mary. For some strange reason every time I fly I have to order one – it’s my in-flight cocktail.

10. What advice would you give to someone starting out in the travel industry?

There are so many different jobs in the industry, find the one you love and that makes you happy.

time_KarryOn

Getting to Know You is our good will gesture to promote the TIME program.  The TIME program is focused on a Mentor/Mentee relationship that is ‘mentee-driven’. Mentors are drawn from the senior ranks of the industry and have generously volunteered their time and energy to the mentor process. They are matched to Mentees on the basis of non-conflicting business skills and experience that enables them to offer advice and perspective to the Mentee. The role of the Mentor is to hold their Mentee accountable and to offer challenging ideas that will inspire the Mentee, helping to building the individuals self confidence through praise, encouragement and constructive feedback.

If you are interested in joining TIME as a mentor or mentee visit their website