Getting To Know You

Share this article

Getting to know Kim Scoular from Scenic Tours

We chat to Scenic Tours' Operations Manager, Kim Scoular about her weird job at a Scottish fishing lodge and that time she explored Antarctica with the company.

We chat to Scenic Tours’ Operations Manager, Kim Scoular about her weird job at a Scottish fishing lodge and that time she explored Antarctica with the company.

1. How long have you been in the industry?

Twenty years. I started as a travel agent with Blue Ribbon Coaches/Harvey World Travel in Maitland. I have been lucky enough to have worked with Scenic Tours since 2001, from reservations to tour director and now operations manager – they don’t seem to have tired of me yet!

2. What’s your most amazing travel experience?

Taking Scenic guests to see East Africa for the first time, it epitomises the true African safari adventure, and it never disappoints.

3. What’s the weirdest job you’ve ever done?

Working in a fishing lodge in Helmsdale, Scotland that was frequented by the upper class English gents who were “invited” to fish the beautiful lochs of Scotland – money certainly doesn’t buy manners and I quickly realised making coal fires and holding my tongue didn’t work out for me.

4. First ever country you travelled to?

Bali, like so many young Australians. Let’s just say I haven’t been back.

5. Wishlist of places yet to visit?

India, Nepal and New York, just to enjoy how different things can be from what we get used to seeing every day. Also I want to get to Antarctica on our stunning Scenic charter ships, the photos we are getting from our cruise directors and guests are amazing, I will need to do a photography course first!

6. Who was your biggest mentor growing up?

Definitely The Famous Five books written by Enid Blyton. I wanted to be one of the gang leading an exciting life full of adventure.

7. How has working in travel changed you?

The fluid environment of travel helps you to always be adaptable and more open to change.

8. What’s your biggest life achievement to date?

My son, who loves travel as much as I do.

9. What’s one in-flight travel tip?

Fly business class … I wish! Drink a lot of water.

10. What advice would you give to someone starting out in the travel industry?

Travel first and then bring your enthusiasm and passion to your job and you will succeed. Most importantly, don’t keep it a secret, be sure to share the excitement of travel with everyone.

Have a question for Kim? Leave it below and we’ll get you the answer.

time_KarryOn

Getting to Know You is our good will gesture to promote the TIME program. The TIME program is focused on a Mentor/Mentee relationship that is ‘mentee-driven’. Mentors are drawn from the senior ranks of the industry and have generously volunteered their time and energy to the mentor process. They are matched to Mentees on the basis of non-conflicting business skills and experience that enables them to offer advice and perspective to the Mentee. The role of the Mentor is to hold their Mentee accountable and to offer challenging ideas that will inspire the Mentee, helping to building the individuals self confidence through praise, encouragement and constructive feedback.

If you are interested in joining TIME as a mentor or mentee visit their website