Getting To Know You

Share this article

Getting to know Peter Power from AVIAREPS

This week we get to know Peter Power, the general manager of marketing and public relations group, AVIAREPS.

This week we get to know Peter Power, the general manager of marketing and public relations group, AVIAREPS.

1. How long have you been in the industry, what and where was your first job?

I’ve been In the industry for about 20 years. My first job was as a BDM for Peregrine Adventures As A sales Rep in NSW.

2. What’s your most amazing travel experience (one of them anyway)!

Trekking in Nepal the first time. Everything about that experience affected me.

One day walking through cloud forest I heard a strange whistling . Appearing like a ghost from the mist a huge bird through soared past as it rode the thermals and disappeared into the abyss above. That image is still fresh to me to this day

3. What’s the weirdest job you’ve ever done?

On a kibbutz in Israel Injecting hormones into old chickens to activate a 2nd breeding cycle from them . Too weird. I stopped eating eggs In Israel

4. First ever country you travelled to? What was your experience like?

A three-month journey through South East Asia an 18 year old with a mate from school. My eyes were opened to the world in all its beauty, chaos and contradictions I’ve never closed them since.

5. Wishlist of places yet to visit?

So many places so little time. Hiking In the Greenland and Iceland in summer is apparently staggering. Yes please.

6. Who was your biggest mentor/influence growing up?

Probably my sisters. I learned from them how to wash, clean and cook. I discovered as a young guy that these skills are a real ‘chick magnet’.

7. How has working in travel changed you?

I have become very cognizant.

8. What’s your biggest life achievement to date?

Life achievement would be raising two children who have grown to be wonderful engaging compassionate adults.

Work achievement would be when I worked for Intrepid I came up with the term ‘Responsible Travel’ to describe what they did. It is now used everywhere. I should have registered that. DOH!

9. What’s one in-flight travel tip?

Be patient and calm. Take good quality, noise cancelling headphones. Sorry that’s two.

10. What advice would you give to someone starting out in the travel industry?

Be passionate, have integrity, value your colleagues and just be yourself. Take time to listen and learn from your peers and bosses. I have found that most people in our wonderful industry are very generous with their time and knowledge.