Getting To Know You

Share this article

Getting to Know Ryan Montgomery

This week we get to know Ryan Montgomery, APT State Sales Manager NSW and ACT.

This week we get to know Ryan Montgomery, APT State Sales Manager NSW and ACT.

1. How long have you been in the industry?

I got the travel bug when I went on my round-the-world trip, just over nine years ago. So when I got back to Australia in 2005 I landed a role in the reservations team at Contiki Holidays. I’ve been working in the industry ever since.

2. What’s your most amazing travel experience (one of them anyway)!

That’s a really hard question, especially to someone who loves travel. It’s a bit like asking me to pick my favourite child! Highlights would have to be travelling through the south of Spain during the soccer World Cup and watching all the Spanish games with the locals. I was also lucky enough to join an APT famil last year through the Rockies in Canada which was an incredible experience. It’s one of the most beautiful and pristine destinations I have ever seen

3. What’s the weirdest job you’ve ever done?

I’m not sure that its weird but I was a cocktail bartender in London for a while and had the opportunity to serve drinks to many celebrities including Madonna, Natalie Portman, Will Smith and even Margaret Thatcher!

4. First ever country you travelled to? What was your experience like?

My first country was as a child going to LA with the family, so the greatest memory from that would be Disneyland. But the first country I travelled to as a backpacker in my teens was to Spain for the running of the bulls so the best way to describe that experience would be amazing and crazy at the same time!

5. Wish list of places yet to visit?

South America is a destination that has been on my wish list for a very long time and somewhere I can’t wait to experience.

6. Who was your biggest mentor/influence growing up?

I have been fortunate to have had many great Mentors in my life. But my biggest would have been my Parents. My Dad always said in your career to not let money drive you, but if you do what you love you will have a happy life. Mum was just an inspiration, managing to run a successful family business whilst being an even more successful Mother. I owe them a lot.

7. How has working in travel changed you?

I think I am one of the lucky ones out there that actually loves what they do for a living. When all you do is talk travel each day, which is my passion, it’s pretty easy going to work each day.

8. What’s your biggest life achievement to date?

I am not sure if there is one defining achievement as so many things have got me where I am today. But I am getting married next year so the biggest achievement is yet to come!!

9. What’s one in-flight travel tip?

Red wine and ear plugs are a must on any flight.

10. What advice would you give to someone starting out in the travel industry?

The travel industry is all about relationships. So surround yourself with people who inspire you and learn from them. We work in an industry that most people dream about working in, so find something that you love doing and success will follow.

timelogo

Getting to Know You is our good will gesture to promote the TIME program.  The TIME program is focused on a Mentor/Mentee relationship that is ‘mentee-driven’. Mentors are drawn from the senior ranks of the industry and have generously volunteered their time and energy to the mentor process. They are matched to Mentees on the basis of non-conflicting business skills and experience that enables them to offer advice and perspective to the Mentee. The role of the Mentor is to hold their Mentee accountable and to offer challenging ideas that will inspire the Mentee, helping to building the individuals self confidence through praise, encouragement and constructive feedback.

If you are interested in joining TIME as a mentor or mentee visit their website