Getting To Know You

Share this article

Getting to know Scott Hallo from TravelManagers

Scott Hallo, TravelManagers' Business Partnership Manager for Victoria & Tasmania talks backpacking in London and how travel has changed him.

Scott Hallo, TravelManagers’ Business Partnership Manager for Victoria & Tasmania talks backpacking in London and how travel has changed him.

1. How long have you been in the industry?

18 Years – my first job was for Harvey World Travel as a retail consultant.

2. Describe one of your most amazing travel experiences?

The first time I visited Egypt blew my mind.

3. What is the weirdest job you’ve ever done?

Not necessarily weird, but delivering bags of ice in London for 12 months was interesting.

4. What was the first ever country you travelled to?

My first backpacker trip back in ’89. London first port of call. I remember doing a runner from a black cab because I thought the driver was taking  me on a joy ride.

5. What destinations are on wish list?

Morocco; Eastern Europe and Route 66.

6. Who was your biggest mentor growing up?

Probably my mum.

7. How has working in travel changed you?

It has narrowed my focus probably. I can’t see myself working in any other industry.

8. What is your biggest life achievement to date?

Having four kids is an achievement… remaining sane is an even bigger one.

9. What is your number one in-flight travel tip?

Invest in a decent pair of noise cancelling headphones!

10. And one tip you for new cruisers?

Make sure you remember what level and which end of the ship your cabin is.

11. What advice would you give to someone new in the industry?

If you think you are going to make big dollars, think again.  If you want to have some memorable experiences and meet some pretty cool folk, welcome to the club.

Have a question for Scott? Leave it below and we’ll get you the answer.

time_KarryOn

Getting to Know You is our good will gesture to promote the TIME program. The TIME program is focused on a Mentor/Mentee relationship that is ‘mentee-driven’. Mentors are drawn from the senior ranks of the industry and have generously volunteered their time and energy to the mentor process. They are matched to Mentees on the basis of non-conflicting business skills and experience that enables them to offer advice and perspective to the Mentee. The role of the Mentor is to hold their Mentee accountable and to offer challenging ideas that will inspire the Mentee, helping to building the individuals self confidence through praise, encouragement and constructive feedback.

If you are interested in joining TIME as a mentor or mentee visit their website