Getting To Know You

Share this article

Getting to Know Angie Vaux from TripAdvisor

This week we get to know Angie Vaux, Commercial Director, APAC at TripAdvisor for Business. 

This week we get to know Angie Vaux, Commercial Director, APAC at TripAdvisor for Business. 

1. How long have you been in the industry, what and where was your first job?

I’ve been working in the travel industry for just three months – I’ve always had a passion for travel and I love my new role at TripAdvisor! I started my career in the IT industry 15 years ago, as a marketing executive at Morse in London. 

2. What’s your most amazing travel experience (one of them anyway)!

I’ve been so fortunate to have travelled to some amazing places, but one that stands-out was in Kenya, where I went on Safari to the Maasai Mara. Seeing the wildlife in their natural habitat (yes, I saw the big five!) was spectacular, and something I will never forget.

3. What’s the weirdest job you’ve ever done?

The weirdest job I’ve ever done was when I was younger – I was a strawberry picker in Staffordshire, England. It was a holiday job I had when I was 15 years old. One of the funniest memories I have is seeing my Dad and friends fired from the job after having a massive strawberry fight. After a long-day, I’d come home dreaming of giant strawberries!

4. First ever country you travelled to? What was your experience like?

When I was 12, I went on an exchange to Germany thanks to a pen-pal program I was involved in. I travelled alone and got to really understand the culture – I wasn’t allowed to speak English for the duration of the trip. It was an amazing experience, and German is one of the languages I’m still fluent in today.

5. Wishlist of places yet to visit?

There are many on my wishlist, but if I had to narrow it down, I’d love to see the Taj Mahal in India, walk Machu Pichu in Peru, and travel through South America – it’s the only continent I haven’t had the opportunity to visit.

6. Who was your biggest mentor/influence growing up?

My grandparents were my biggest mentor’s growing up – they were very free-spirited, supporting and encouraging. They really made me feel like anything was possible. In fact, my Nan was the one who helped me get my first job overseas, with a 3-month work experience placement in The Netherlands. Their philosophies and approach to life are an integral part of the way I live my life today.

7. How has working in travel changed you?

I love working in travel, especially working for a company as influential as TripAdvisor. One of the great things about TripAdvisor is that it creates a level playing field for businesses of all sizes, be it a small guest house in outback Australia or a large city hotel, to have a voice and a presence on the world’s largest site. With 315 million unique visitors to TripAdvisor every month, hoteliers have the opportunity to leverage the tools and services we provide to help them succeed in the online marketplace. It’s really rewarding to see so many hoteliers in Australia embracing TripAdvisor and using it as an extension of their own direct marketing assets to enhance their online presence and attract more guests.

8. What’s your biggest life achievement to date?

Welcoming my son into the world five years ago.

9. What’s one in-flight travel tip?

As a qualified yoga instructor, one of the best things you can do is to practice simple yoga movements and keep as active as you can. Also make sure to download the relevant TripAdvisor Cities Guide to your phone before you fly; it’s a free mobile app that works while your phone is in offline mode, so you can research the best restaurants, attractions, hotels and self-guided tours while you fly. It’s a travel must-have!

10. What advice would you give to someone starting out in the travel industry?

Don’t be afraid to think big. The online travel space is moving at such a fast-pace, so you need to be progressive, quick-thinking and able to adapt. TripAdvisor was founded in 2000 with such a simple idea, after Steve Kaufer, our CEO, was planning a trip and realised he couldn’t find a comprehensive resource for travel planning. And look at TripAdvisor today! The travel industry is extraordinary, and if travel is your passion, immerse yourself in it as much as you can, as personal experience goes a long way.

time_KarryOn

Getting to Know You is our good will gesture to promote the TIME program.  The TIME program is focused on a Mentor/Mentee relationship that is ‘mentee-driven’. Mentors are drawn from the senior ranks of the industry and have generously volunteered their time and energy to the mentor process. They are matched to Mentees on the basis of non-conflicting business skills and experience that enables them to offer advice and perspective to the Mentee. The role of the Mentor is to hold their Mentee accountable and to offer challenging ideas that will inspire the Mentee, helping to building the individuals self confidence through praise, encouragement and constructive feedback.

If you are interested in joining TIME as a mentor or mentee visit their website