Getting To Know You

Share this article

Getting to Know Anthony Fitzgerald from WorldVentures

A new face to the Australian tourism industry, Anthony Fitzgerald of WorldVentures is someone who you'd willingly miss your flight for just to hear the end of his tale.

A new face to the Australian tourism industry, Anthony Fitzgerald of WorldVentures is someone who you’d willingly miss your flight for just to hear the end of his tale.

Everything you would expect of a well-travelled Aussie, Anthony is known by colleagues and friends for his candid and upbeat approach to travel and business.

The Asia Pacific Sales Director took some time out to speak with KarryOn to talk about his new entry into the travel industry as Director of Asia-Pacific Sales for WorldVentures and DreamTrips, the mentors that have driven his personal and professional growth and some sound advice about taking time out to appreciate the now.

getting-to-know-you

How long have you been in the industry?

I’m a bit of a newbie to the travel industry, but not so to travel. I’ve travelled quite extensively in a corporate career – going round the world many times over – exploring and discovering something new almost every time. Now in my role with WorldVentures, it’s good to know that I can help create new experiences and discoveries for thousands of other travellers too.

Tell us about your most memorable travel experience.

Without a doubt exploring Shanghai in China. This city is one of the most beautiful places in the world, particularly if you get out and about and explore the “old school” China. Depending on what direction you face, you could be forgiven for thinking you’re in the middle of Europe, some futuristic city yet to be built, or travelled back in time 300 years.

What’s the weirdest job you’ve ever had?

A strawberry picker. I’ve never been as full or as sick on a job in my life. So, as you would expect, I hate strawberries now.

Wish list of places to visit.

Gallipoli, Pyramids of Egypt and Italy are three places that I haven’t travelled to yet, so they are definitely at the top of my bucket list of places to visit.

Who was your biggest mentor growing up and why?

When I was young, I always looked up to my brothers. They made a real impact on my life and my career goals. But it was a work colleague that really helped me forge my career and then move forward in the travel industry. He told me to embrace my simplistic approach to business and allow my personality to guide me, as opposed to towing a corporate line. This advice has served me well for many years and is something that I always remember when making business decisions.

How has working in travel changed you?

I think travel has given me a reality check as to how diverse this planet is in terms of people, cultures and life priorities. Having more of an understanding of and seeing third world communities and their challenges, has really made me extremely grateful not only for what we have here in Australia, but for the opportunity for any traveller to experience and gain the same appreciation.

What’s your biggest achievement to date?

Being able to deliver real life fulfilling holidays for Aussie travellers that are rich in experiences, but also great value for money. Australia is one of the fastest growing markets in the world for WorldVentures, so I’m really pleased and excited to be heading a passionate and vibrant team to create life changing memories for so many Australians.

What’s your number one in-flight travel tip?

Minimise the quantity of alcohol you consume.

What advice would you give an industry newbie?

If you’re lucky enough to see and experience the industry you are working in, look past what’s in front of you, because it’s easy to miss the best of what’s available to you.

Do you have any questions for Anthony?