Karryon Luxury Takeover March 2024 side lock up
Karryon Luxury Takeover March 2024 side lock up
Home Travel Industry Hub

Getting to know Dean van Es from Fast Cover Travel Insurance

This week we get to know Dean van Es, Founder and Managing Director at Fast Cover Travel Insurance.

This week we get to know Dean van Es, Founder and Managing Director at Fast Cover Travel Insurance.

1. How long have you been in the industry, what and where was your first job?

I have a number of years of experience in business and insurance, and in 2010 I took a leap of faith and launched Fast Cover Travel Insurance. Believe it or not my first job was selling beds & mattresses which helped fund my first around the world trip.

2. What’s your most amazing travel experience (one of them anyway)!

Having travelled to 28 countries it is so difficult to decide on a single one, so my most memorable experiences would be rafting the Grand Canyon, hiking glaciers in Switzerland and eating fresh sea food in Bergen Norway.

3. What’s the weirdest job you’ve ever done?

When I was 19 I worked at a Bungee Jump on the Gold Coast.  It was my job to tie up peoples legs before they jumped!

4. First ever country you travelled to? What was your experience like?

My first international trip was to Japan.  I remember telling myself over and over “you’re in Japan!”.  It was an amazing place to visit, so different from Australia.  It was also my first experience buying travel insurance and in many ways planted the seed for what was to become Fast Cover.

5. Wishlist of places yet to visit?

Africa – I want to see the wildlife there.  South America – I want to see the Andes and visit Iguazu Falls.  Canada – I want to ski Whistler and Revelstoke.  Eastern Europe – particularly Hungry, the Czech Republic and Poland.

6. Who was your biggest mentor/influence growing up?

My father always encouraged me to find out for myself, not just to accept things the way they are.  He was always fixing and improving things and making things better.  If there was quicker, simpler, easier way to do something he would find it.  This has shaped the way I do things too, from my early days tinkering in his shed at home to creating an experience for our customers that is – as we promise – simple and fast.

7. How has working in travel changed you?

Through my work at Fast Cover it’s made me realise that you can never be too cautious. You can only imagine some of the calls we get on unfortunate things that happen to people whilst travelling. Travelling is a thrill and a risk, so I’m always ready for plan B!

8. What’s your biggest life achievement to date?

Probably the success of Fast Cover, I built it from scratch in 2010. Today my focus is to make Fast Cover the best travel insurer in Australia by giving customers what they want and not just what they’ve always been given.

9. What’s one in-flight travel tip?

Pack a pen somewhere in your carry-on luggage so you can fill out your arrival card on the plane before you land and; always keep all your documents in an accessible place.

10. What advice would you give to someone starting out in the travel industry?

Go on plenty of trips and see the word, being in the travel industry gives you better access to travel than someone who isn’t, so take advantage of it!

Don’t put off travel to a later time, a travel experience you have in your 20’s will be completely different to the one you’ll have in your 30’s or 40’s so why not have both?

time_KarryOn

Getting to Know You is our good will gesture to promote the TIME program.  The TIME program is focused on a Mentor/Mentee relationship that is ‘mentee-driven’. Mentors are drawn from the senior ranks of the industry and have generously volunteered their time and energy to the mentor process. They are matched to Mentees on the basis of non-conflicting business skills and experience that enables them to offer advice and perspective to the Mentee. The role of the Mentor is to hold their Mentee accountable and to offer challenging ideas that will inspire the Mentee, helping to building the individuals self confidence through praise, encouragement and constructive feedback.

If you are interested in joining TIME as a mentor or mentee visit their website