Getting To Know You

Share this article

Getting to know Jennifer Gaskin from Excite Holidays

This week we get to know Jennifer Gaskin, PR and Communications Manager from Excite Holidays.

This week we get to know Jennifer Gaskin, PR and Communications Manager from Excite Holidays.

1. How long have you been in the industry, what and where was your first job?

I have been working in travel for around eight years. My first job in the industry was as a features writer for a travel magazine in the UK.

2. What’s your most amazing travel experience (one of them anyway)?

I’ve had so many – it’s hard to choose! The one that stands out the most is probably a press trip to Kenya I was invited to attend by Magical Kenya. We were flown to a remote area on the tiny plane and stayed at an incredible lodge. We each had our own private lodge and mine had floor to ceiling windows and looked out onto a watering hole. In the mornings I woke up to see elephants, giraffes, rhinos and many other animals drinking there – that’s something I’ll never forget.

3. What’s the weirdest job you’ve ever done?

I haven’t really had a weird job, but probably the weirdest thing I’ve had to do for a job was go ghost hunting in Edinburgh Castle. That was pretty spooky!

4. What’s the first ever country you travelled to? What was your experience like?

The first country I travelled to was Italy, I was only three so can’t remember too much. There are lots of pictures of me with ice cream all over my face though – so I think I had a good time!

5. What’s your wishlist of places yet to visit?

Sri Lanka, Namibia, Mozambique, Montenegro, Panama…

6. Who was your biggest mentor/influence growing up?

My parents – they always encouraged me to find out as much as possible about the world.

7. How has working in travel changed you?

It’s made me want to travel to even more places!

8. What’s your biggest life achievement to date?

When I was 16 I made a promise to myself to visit every continent before my 25th birthday – and I did it!

9. What’s one in-flight travel tip?

To avoid jet lag, set your watch to the time at your destination as soon as you board and try to stay awake and sleep at the right times.

10. What advice would you give to someone starting out in the travel industry?

Be ambitious, ask questions, think differently and enjoy it!

What’s the question you want to ask Jen? Feel free to comment below!

Want to profile yourself or some you know for ‘Getting to Know you?’ – Email us today

time_KarryOn

Getting to Know You is our good will gesture to promote the TIME program.  The TIME program is focused on a Mentor/Mentee relationship that is ‘mentee-driven’. Mentors are drawn from the senior ranks of the industry and have generously volunteered their time and energy to the mentor process. They are matched to Mentees on the basis of non-conflicting business skills and experience that enables them to offer advice and perspective to the Mentee. The role of the Mentor is to hold their Mentee accountable and to offer challenging ideas that will inspire the Mentee, helping to building the individuals self confidence through praise, encouragement and constructive feedback.

If you are interested in joining TIME as a mentor or mentee visit their website