Getting To Know You

Share this article

Getting to know Jerome Boadu from Hilton Sydney’s LivingWell

Until you've been a parent you don't know how hard it can be travelling with kids.

Until you’ve been a parent you don’t know how hard it can be travelling with kids.

That’s why in a recent Q&A with KarryOn, Hilton Sydney’s LivingWell HealthClub Manager and full-time father, Jerome Boadu, urged travellers to cut mums and dads a little slack, especially in the air.

Check out more of our chat with Jerome below.

1. How long have you been in the industry?

I have worked in the health and fitness industry for 15 years and my first job was as a fitness instructor for a large five star fitness chain in the UK.

2. What’s your most memorable travel moment?

I visited Kenya in 1990 and of course going on safari was amazing (getting up close and personal with wild animals), however the most humbling experience was to see how people in local villages lived in poverty and tough conditions but still had smiles on their faces.

3. What’s the weirdest job you’ve ever had?

Working for one of my health clubs dressed in our club mascot (Mr Muscle), handing out promotional flyers and having my picture taken by the general public, often with passing children taking opportune punches at me. Very hot work, but fun!

4. First country you ever travelled to?

Germany. I had a German pen pal at school and he lived in Cologne. I was 15 years old and had never flown before.

Although the flight was short the experience on a plane was amazing.

I was lucky enough to spend my summer there and it helped me with my German studies.

I have fond memories of how friendly and open people were in sharing their culture with me.

5. Wishlist of places yet to visit?

Ghana – my father’s homeland

Egypt – to see the pyramids

US – New York

6. Who was your biggest mentor growing up?

I have too many to name but all have helped me at various stages in my life and I am sure many more will continue to help me for the rest of my life.

7. How has working in travel changed you?

I have been lucky enough to have lived in the UK and Australia. I grew up in the UK and had some amazing experiences.

Now as a father and husband living in Australia, it is great to see my children grow up in a great country and share experiences with them.

8. What’s your biggest life achievement to date?

Becoming a father to three beautiful children.

9. What’s your number one in-flight tip?

When on a flight, take time to think how challenging it can be for mums and dads with small children to travel and cut them some slack if their children sometimes get restless.

It’s hard work!

10. Two tips for staying fit on holidays

I like to take the gym with me. Nowadays you can get a full body  work out by taking small exercise items with you in your suitcase.

I take dynabands, a yoga mat, skipping rope, GPS running watch and small push up bars.

This not only saves on joining a gym at your travel destinations travels but takes up minimum space and weight.

Run/Ride or Walk whilst sightseeing. Do some internet  research before you leave for your travels to find some great running/riding or walking maps around the vicinity of your destination.

Plan a route to either run/ride (bicycle hire) or walk.

My wife loves to purchase walking cards when we travel to new cities, it’s a great way to keep fit and enjoy some sightseeing along the way.

11. What advice would you give an industry newcomer?

Use your passion for the industry to relentlessly help others and your hard work can take you anywhere you like.

Have a question for Jerome? Leave it below and we’ll get you the answer.

time_KarryOn

Getting to Know You is our good will gesture to promote the TIME program. The TIME program is focused on a Mentor/Mentee relationship that is ‘mentee-driven’. Mentors are drawn from the senior ranks of the industry and have generously volunteered their time and energy to the mentor process. They are matched to Mentees on the basis of non-conflicting business skills and experience that enables them to offer advice and perspective to the Mentee. The role of the Mentor is to hold their Mentee accountable and to offer challenging ideas that will inspire the Mentee, helping to building the individuals self confidence through praise, encouragement and constructive feedback.

If you are interested in joining TIME as a mentor or mentee visit their website