Getting To Know You

Share this article

Getting to know Luis Palacios from Los Cabos Tourism Board

The new Commercial Director of Los Cabos Tourism talks about his travel roots as a bell boy and shares heartfelt life advice passed on from his dad.

The new Commercial Director of Los Cabos Tourism talks about his travel roots as a bell boy and shares heartfelt life advice passed on from his dad.

1. How long have you been in the industry?

Since 2000. My first job in Tourism was working as a bell boy in a hotel during my first year of University, but growing up as a kid in Los Cabos I was always close to relatives who worked in the industry.

2. What is one of your most amazing travel experience?

Los Cabos

A surf trip in the north of Baja California to San Juanico (Scorpion Bay), with 18 of my best friends on a mini school bus and one of the best swells I’ve ever surfed.

3. What’s the weirdest job you’ve ever done?

I worked building rock climbing walls for a company who ran corporate team building programs.

I then worked with that same company as a Consultant.

I also worked in a gym for two years as a rock climbing instructor – that was weird since I never thought I was going to do that… I’ve always been in the sea not the mountains.

4. First ever country you travelled to?

It was to the USA when I was a kid – at least that´s what I can remember!

It was actually to LA, California. I had fun, we went to Disney but I believe I wanted to go to the beach instead of Disney but my brother and sister differed haha.

We finally went to the beach after visiting Disney. It was very different to our beaches in Baja, I remember I didn’t like the cold water or the color of the water.

5. Wishlist of places yet to visit?

Easter Islands, Indonesia and the Fjords in Norway.

6. Who was your biggest mentor growing up?

Have to say my Dad – he taught us to work hard but to enjoy life no matter what you do and be good to people.

I always remember him saying: ¨Lo cortes no quita lo valiente¨ which I believe translating is this: Being polite does not take the brave out of you…

7. How has working in travel changed you?

Los Cabos 2

Made me a happy person 🙂 we work in the best Industry in the world – sharing a smile all the time, getting to know the best places where you live and being able to tell people the best stories you have for those places, meeting super fun people and I think that’s very hard to find.

8. What’s your biggest life achievement to date?

Have to say being where I am promoting the place that I love where I grew up in and that has given me so much, this and having the most beautiful daughter In the world :p

9. What’s one in-flight travel tip?

Always bring a good music playlist with you and loads of external batteries to charge your tablets or phones for long flights.

10. What advice would you give an industry newcomer?

Be professional but don’t forget to have fun and enjoy what you are doing – whatever it is a smile goes a long way with people no matter where they are from.

Have a question for Luis? Leave it below and we’ll get you the answer.

time_KarryOn

Getting to Know You is our good will gesture to promote the TIME program. The TIME program is focused on a Mentor/Mentee relationship that is ‘mentee-driven’. Mentors are drawn from the senior ranks of the industry and have generously volunteered their time and energy to the mentor process. They are matched to Mentees on the basis of non-conflicting business skills and experience that enables them to offer advice and perspective to the Mentee. The role of the Mentor is to hold their Mentee accountable and to offer challenging ideas that will inspire the Mentee, helping to building the individuals self confidence through praise, encouragement and constructive feedback.

If you are interested in joining TIME as a mentor or mentee visit their website