What’s the perfect recipe to for some good in-flight rest? According to Eclipse Travel’s Matt McMillan, it’s two beers, two glasses of wine and a really boring movie.
The Director and Co-Founder of the tour operator recently chatted to KarryOn about his flying tips as well as his travel history and future plans.
Check out our interview below:
1. How long have you been in the industry?
I studied tourism as a major at uni and then started up at GTA in their reservations department. I nearly quit after my first week but have been in the industry for over 15 years now.
2. Tell us about your most memorable travel experience.
Hard to go past Antarctica although Patagonia comes close.
3. What’s the weirdest job you’ve ever had?
Tough one – I’ve had some crappy jobs but not sure if any of them qualifies as being weird. I’ve worked with plenty of weird people though.
4. Wish list of places to visit.
PNG, Uganda, Madagascar, Ethiopia, Iran, Jordan, Franz Josef Land, and Canada.
5. Who was your biggest mentor growing up and why?
It may sound soppy but I would have to say my mum. From an early age she organised our family on adventurous trips throughout South East Asia, taught me all about organisation, and ignited my passion for travel.
6. How has working in travel changed you?
It certainly changed me. I find it difficult to pay full price for anything travel related.
7. What’s your biggest achievement to date?
Being married for 5 years, much harder than running a travel business!
8. What’s your number one in-flight travel tip?
Two beers plus two glasses of wine and a boring movie = sleep
9. What advice would you give an industry newbie?
Travel as much as you can, it can’t hurt your career in this industry.
Do you have any questions for Matt?
Share this story