Getting To Know You

Share this article

Getting to know Matthew Cameron-Smith from Trafalgar

This week we get to know Matthew Cameron-Smith, Managing Director from Trafalgar Australia.

This week we get to know Matthew Cameron-Smith, Managing Director from Trafalgar Australia.

1. How long have you been in the industry, what and where was your first job?

This year will mark 25 years in the industry with my first job was a waiter and barman in a Brisbane night spot.

2. What’s your most amazing travel experience (one of them anyway)!

There has been many! I’ll (genuinely) never forget the first time I travelled with Trafalgar and the Be My Guest experience in the Loir Valley – it just blew me away that we could deliver this in the way we do. Most recently, a favourite was reconnecting with my family in Fiji staying at the Outrigger Resort.

3. What’s the weirdest job you’ve ever done?

Perhaps a strange experience – I remember attending an interview for an internal promotion when I worked at Dreamworld on the Gold Coast. I attended the meeting dressed as a train conductor….

4. First ever country you travelled to? What was your experience like?

Hong Kong and China, both totally surpassed all expectation with the scale of life quickly followed by the scale of competition we face globally!

5. Wishlist of places yet to visit?

South America and South Africa are the two on the top of my list.

6. Who was your biggest mentor/influence growing up?

My parents without doubt.

7. How has working in travel changed you?

I think working in travel broadens your horizon. I’ve been very fortunate to live and work in tourism overseas and encourage as many people as possible to have the same experience. It gives you a much clearer perspective on how our industry operates and the global and local challenges and opportunities there are.

8. What’s your biggest life achievement to date?

Personally my three children and professionally, Trafalgar winning the national Tourism award for Best Operator in 2012 and 2013 are right up there.

9. What’s one in-flight travel tip?

Charge your batteries!

10. What advice would you give to someone starting out in the travel industry?

To view this exciting and vibrant industry as a long term career. I see too many talented people leave because they think the grass is greener elsewhere. Remember, the grass is greenest where you water it the most…

time_KarryOn

Getting to Know You is our good will gesture to promote the TIME program.  The TIME program is focused on a Mentor/Mentee relationship that is ‘mentee-driven’. Mentors are drawn from the senior ranks of the industry and have generously volunteered their time and energy to the mentor process. They are matched to Mentees on the basis of non-conflicting business skills and experience that enables them to offer advice and perspective to the Mentee. The role of the Mentor is to hold their Mentee accountable and to offer challenging ideas that will inspire the Mentee, helping to building the individuals self confidence through praise, encouragement and constructive feedback.

If you are interested in joining TIME as a mentor or mentee visit their website