Industry HQ

Share this article

Getting to know Michael Callaghan, GM at SureSave

This week we get to know Michael Callaghan, General Manager at SureSave.

This week we get to know Michael Callaghan, General Manager at SureSave.

1. How long have you been in the industry, what and where was your first job?

I have been in the travel industry for almost two years now after joining SureSave in early 2013.

2. What’s your most amazing travel experience (one of them anyway)!

Backpacking my way through the Middle East – from Egypt to Istanbul. I met interesting people, ate amazing food and explored some beautiful places steeped in history.

3. What’s the weirdest job you’ve ever done?

I once worked on a ship – coiling deep sea data cables. I would spend all day watching plastic pipes fill the docked ship.

4. First ever country you travelled to? What was your experience like?

I jumped on my first ever plane when I was 19, alone, with a round-the-world Qantas ticket and a UK working Visa. My first stop was Johannesburg, South Africa. It was an incredible, although at times tough, experience.

5. Wishlist of places yet to visit?

1. Galapagos Islands
  2. Prague
  3. Morocco
  4. Rio
  5. Split

…the list goes on.

6. Who was your biggest mentor/influence growing up?

My high school maths teacher Mr Brand – he taught me the value of learning and trying hard.

7. How has working in travel changed you? 

I now realise I wouldn’t work in an industry where I didn’t feel like I was making a difference in people’s lives. That’s what I enjoy most about working in travel insurance.

8. What’s your biggest life achievement to date?

Sounds cliché, but my family. We have three amazing small children who love to explore, travel and experience new cultures.

9. What’s one in-flight travel tip?

Take earplugs. They make you feel miles away from the cabin noise when it’s time for some shut eye.

10. What advice would you give to someone starting out in the travel industry? 

Listen and learn as much as you can. Everyone you meet has a story to tell and it’s these bits of knowledge that help you along the way.

time_KarryOn

Getting to Know You is our good will gesture to promote the TIME program.  The TIME program is focused on a Mentor/Mentee relationship that is ‘mentee-driven’. Mentors are drawn from the senior ranks of the industry and have generously volunteered their time and energy to the mentor process. They are matched to Mentees on the basis of non-conflicting business skills and experience that enables them to offer advice and perspective to the Mentee. The role of the Mentor is to hold their Mentee accountable and to offer challenging ideas that will inspire the Mentee, helping to building the individuals self confidence through praise, encouragement and constructive feedback.
If you are interested in joining TIME as a mentor or mentee visit their website