Getting To Know You

Share this article

Getting to know Michael Johnson from PARKROYAL Parramatta

PARKROYAL Parramatta's GM explains how in-room hamburgers can determine the quality of a hotel restaurant & why he loves working in travel.

PARKROYAL Parramatta’s GM explains how in-room hamburgers can determine the quality of a hotel restaurant & why he loves working in travel.

1. How long have you been in the industry?

I have been in the industry for around 35 years now.

2. Describe one of your most amazing travel experiences.

I once enjoyed five days at Paleokastritsa (Corfu, Greece) and I missed the ferry so I had to stay another five days. It was fantastic!

3. Tell us about the weirdest job you’ve ever had.

I worked in a concrete fabrication factory for one day. That was one day too long.

4. What was the first country you ever travelled to?

New Zealand.

5. What destinations are on your bucket list?

Machu Picchu is at the top. I can’t wait to visit.

6. How has working in travel changed you?

I love working with people and as such, have a wonderful network of friends and colleagues that share the hotel industry passion.

7. Who was your biggest mentor growing up?

My father. I grew up with six brothers and no mother. So he was definitely an inspiration.

8. What is your biggest life achievement to-date?

My family. A beautiful wife and four wonderful kids, now young adults.

9. What is your number one in-flight tip?

Drink lots – water that is.

10. One thing you must-try at every hotel.

The hamburger. It will indicate whether the restaurant is worth going to.

11. What advice would you give someone starting in the industry?

Work hard. If you love it like I do, the lifestyle can be very rewarding.

Have a question for Michael? Leave it below and we’ll get you the answer.

time_KarryOn

Getting to Know You is our good will gesture to promote the TIME program. The TIME program is focused on a Mentor/Mentee relationship that is ‘mentee-driven’. Mentors are drawn from the senior ranks of the industry and have generously volunteered their time and energy to the mentor process. They are matched to Mentees on the basis of non-conflicting business skills and experience that enables them to offer advice and perspective to the Mentee. The role of the Mentor is to hold their Mentee accountable and to offer challenging ideas that will inspire the Mentee, helping to building the individuals self confidence through praise, encouragement and constructive feedback.

If you are interested in joining TIME as a mentor or mentee visit their website