Getting To Know You

Share this article

Getting to know Sasha Luckey from roomsXML

The National Business Development Manager at roomsXML has a passion for life both on and off the Yoga mat, telling KarryOn about that time she lost her bundle in an Indian street and experiencing Oman.

The National Business Development Manager at roomsXML has a passion for life both on and off the Yoga mat, telling KarryOn about that time she lost her bundle in an Indian street and experiencing Oman.

1. How long have you been in the industry?

2008, a year after roomsXML was born. I started in Customer Support with roomsXML just after the arrival of our daughter.

2. What was your most amazing travel experience?

Oman– seriously O’mazing. Turtle nesting, azure blue waters, dolphin watching, desert camps, sand dune bashing. It was both traditional and luxurious.

3. What’s the weirdest job you’ve ever had?

Possibly not so weird. Although entirely devoid of any glamour.

While most 16 year old girls aimed for Sportsgirl or Myers, I was happily employed by McEwans hardware. My dad was super impressed by the family discount.

Without knowing it, my future husband worked in “Treasureway” next door – five years before we eventually met.

I will also admit to a short stint working on the door of a very reputable Melbourne nightclub.

4. What’s the first ever country you travelled to?

New Zealand. I was 18 years old and visiting a friend in Wellington. To this day it’s my most frequented destination.

I still love for NZ Cadbury Chocolate Fish and their L&P (Lemon & Paeroa) soft drink.

5. What destinations are on your bucket list?

Sri Lanka – tea trails and surf beaches.

Europe – a self-drive canal holiday.

Antarctica – Cruising and Southern Lights Aurora style.

6. Who was your biggest mentor growing up?

My maternal Grandmother. Gran is a very passionate and dedicated woman.

Having completed her first formal qualification at age 60 she commenced full time employment as a social worker in regional Victoria.

We still share book group books and robust conversations.

7. How has working in travel changed you?

It’s made me more appreciative of the life I have after travelling and seeing the way others live day to day.

8. What is your biggest life achievement to-date?

It sounds cheesy, but I’m happy with who I am and glad that I’m able to appreciate the great family I have around me.

9. What’s your number one in-flight travel tip?

Always pack spare clothes in KarryOn – you just never know.

This nugget is courtesy of my first trip to India. Luggage can and does go astray.

10. And one tip for new cruisers.

Sadly I can’t yet add to this, ask me again next year.

11. What advice would you give an industry newbie?

Listen. Learn, respect those taking the time to share with you.

In turn, support and mentor those who enter the profession after you, their success is also your success.

Find the most suitable part of the Industry to work in, it may be retail, corporate, wholesale see which shoe fits the best and then settle in.

Be as genuine as you can be without compromising integrity.

Have a question for Sasha? Leave it below and we’ll get you the answer.

time_KarryOn

Getting to Know You is our good will gesture to promote the TIME program. The TIME program is focused on a Mentor/Mentee relationship that is ‘mentee-driven’. Mentors are drawn from the senior ranks of the industry and have generously volunteered their time and energy to the mentor process. They are matched to Mentees on the basis of non-conflicting business skills and experience that enables them to offer advice and perspective to the Mentee. The role of the Mentor is to hold their Mentee accountable and to offer challenging ideas that will inspire the Mentee, helping to building the individuals self confidence through praise, encouragement and constructive feedback.

If you are interested in joining TIME as a mentor or mentee visit their website