Getting To Know You

Share this article

KARRYON COMMUNITY: Meet Joel Enright, Travel Counsellor

Each day we aim to inspire, educate and entertain the travel industry. Our community is spread far and wide across the country and even the world.

Each day we aim to inspire, educate and entertain the travel industry. Our community is spread far and wide across the country and even the world.

Here at KARRYON, we’d love to learn more about our community and the incredibly diverse lives you all lead.

Let’s meet Joel Enright, who has been operating as a Travel Counsellor for the past two years and enjoying flexibility and complete ownership that comes with running his own travel business.

First off, could you give a little introduction as to who you are and what got you started working as a Travel Counsellor?

Joel Enright-TC

My name is Joel Enright and I’ve been running my own business with Travel Counsellors for about 2 years now. I was a retail travel agent for a few years, which included a brief hiatus living and working in Europe. It was there that I realised my potential in working for myself. I knew it wouldn’t take off overnight, but I’m really starting to reap the rewards of my decision and I’m amazed by the number of clients who followed me on this journey.

Being a TC not only gives me freedom with my work hours and capacity to decide what I earn, but it gives me the room I need to provide a really great level of service to my clients that I know they won’t find elsewhere.

Where in Australia are you based and how long have you lived there?

Brisbane

I am based on the North Side of Brisbane and have lived here my whole life. Other than a few stints living internationally in Canada and Europe, I’m a Brisbane boy, born and bred.

What is a typical (and perhaps no two days are the same) work day like for you?

Joel Enright-TC

A typical work day for me doesn’t really exist. I am lucky that I can be really flexible to my clients needs. I have a couple of corporate clients who book consistently and require a very quick turnaround with quotes and bookings. My leisure and group bookings tend to require a lot more time and careful planning. I truly want to make sure their entire experience is perfect.

My day is basically working between what’s on my desk at any one time to make sure all of my clients are receiving the service they deserve. I also make time to continually grow my business through marketing and networking, to regularly remind people about me and what I do.

Where is the weirdest destination anyone has ever wanted you to send them?

tibet china

One of the most interesting conversations I’ve had was with a client who wanted me to help him get to Tibet. It was a new one for me, but I knew straight up it is very difficult to enter. He wanted me to fly him into an airport in China, which was closest to Tibet, so he could walk the border himself and enter that way.

Other than thinking it was one of the coolest ideas, I had to inform him that he was more likely to get shot than make it across the border on foot. We went for a tour instead, which included a visa and a border crossing. He was stoked.

What’s the most unusual question a client has ever asked?

I had a client once ask me if I could make sure it was snowing the day they arrived at their ski resort in Canada to “set the scene”.

What do you love most about working in the Travel Industry?

Other than the obvious perks of ‘cheaper travel’, my favourite part is hearing about peoples amazing experiences after they’ve returned from a trip I organised. People have the most amazing stories from their adventures and it’s great to know that I was able to help make them happen.

Want to dob in someone (or yourself) to be profiled? Email Nat@karryon.com.au