Getting To Know You

Share this article

#travelforlife: Meet Aerocare's Airline Services Trainer and Supervisor at Hobart Airport Della Stevens

Say hello to the people of the industry who’ve chosen to work in ‘travel for life’ and see the travel industry as a fun industry. These are the ultra passionate, much-loved folk who continue to inspire others by going above and beyond in their everyday roles.

Say hello to the people of the industry who’ve chosen to work in ‘travel for life’ and see the travel industry as a fun industry. These are the ultra passionate, much-loved folk who continue to inspire others by going above and beyond in their everyday roles.

This week we catch up with Della Stevens, Airline Services Trainer and Supervisor for Aerocare at Hobart Airport. Della shares what she does in the industry, what inspires her and a message to all industry newbies.

What do you do in your role?

Della 7

I work for Aerocare at Hobart Airport. My main role is as a Trainer for our customers, Virgin Australia and Tigerair. I also complete an AMCO (Airport Movement Coordinator) role and fill in as a Supervisor on occasion.

What do you love most about working in the travel industry? 

Screen Shot 2018 05 24 at 3.12.43 pm 1

I have been in the travel industry for nearly 28 years. It has been wide and varied. I started working for Qantas in Melbourne after completing a Diploma in Tourism after I finished Year 12. However, in Year 7, I already knew the airport would be my career, but back then it was a job in the control tower that I was aiming for. 

How has working in travel changed you?

image1 12

I try and go overseas at least every year. Somewhere with a different culture is so inspiring. We are lucky to be able travel the world and experience so many different things. The different food, architecture, language, traditional dress and customs is fascinating. 

Tell us about a recent, amazing travel experience.

Della 1

Eighteen months ago, I went to the USA with a girlfriend. We had agreed that we would separate for one week as she had something else planned. I then continued by myself to Texas and New Mexico. I so loved it there. I enjoyed meeting people and the freedom that travelling by yourself brings. It was truly memorable.

What’s the weirdest/most amusing job you’ve ever had?

Della 2

When Aerocare started up Tigerair, I was filmed checking in the Tigerair mascot. In real life, he is pretty big and he can’t see below his eye line. So when handing him his ‘fake’ boarding pass I had to quickly tell him where my hand was to grab it. It was funny to watch. He then jumped behind the counter proceeded to knock things off the counter and he moved about, way too big and clumsy for operating at check-in, but very hilarious.

What’s the funniest thing you’ve ever seen on your travels?

Della 3

I would have to say my parents crossing the road in Vietnam. It was such a funny sight, dangerous for sure, but very funny. My dad would just run, then baulk, go back again to the sidewalk and then try again to get to the other side. All while holding my mother’s hand and trying to communicate to her what he was doing.

How can we as an industry ‘travel to change the world?

Della 4

I believe that everyone should volunteer. I volunteer with the Cancer Council and one day I hope to do more. If we had a bigger network of volunteering more things could be accomplished around the world. More volunteers to treat animals in other countries, more volunteers to help the starving in others, more doctors and nurses and just those that can teach people other languages. Not only would that make our societies better, you enrich your life as well.

What’s your number one in-flight travel tip?

Be organised and always have an alternate plan. Do expect the unexpected. If things go wrong, fix what you can and move on. Things happen so don’t dwell on it. Enjoy every experience for what it is.

What’s your favourite travel app?

Della 5

We are using Tripcase on our next adventure. On Sunday my husband and I head away for 5 weeks. Visiting France, Spain, Italy, Croatia, Vienna, Montenegro and Greece.

What advice would you give an industry newbie?

Every day is so different. Remember that many people don’t travel often, so to them the Airport may be a stressful place. So many rules and things to follow. Be kind, be helpful and enjoy it, after all you have one of the best jobs in the world. 

Who inspires you within the industry and why?

Della 6

We have many amazing people in our industry. I admire many and their willingness to help make sure we are filled with the knowledge and the passion to make sure a job is done right. Have pride in what you do and it will go a long way.

CAREER: Dream & Discover as an Africa & Middle East Sales Consultant

CAREER: Cruise to success as a Wholesale CruiseConsultant

Do you have any questions for Della? Share them with us below.