Getting To Know You

Share this article

#travelforlife: Meet Anthony Goldman - Joint MD of the Goldman Group

Say hello to the people of the industry who’ve chosen to work in ‘travel for life’. These are the ultra passionate, much-loved folks that continue to inspire others by going above and beyond in their roles.

Say hello to the people of the industry who’ve chosen to work in ‘travel for life’. These are the ultra passionate, much-loved folks that continue to inspire others by going above and beyond in their roles.

This week we catch up with the industry’s most caring of souls, joint Managing Director of The Goldman Group, Anthony Goldman. We find out how he started this impressive career and who actually inspires him.

TELL US MORE ABOUT YOUR ROLE AND WHAT A DAY LOOKS LIKE?

I work closely with my joint MD and brother David Goldman, our Executive Chairman and father Tom Goldman, and our fellow Director Lisa Borowick, as well as working on marketing initiatives for all businesses in the Goldman portfolio.

No two days are the same. When I am not travelling for work, I am based in Melbourne and work across all six of The Goldman Group travel companies (Goldman Travel Corporation, Travelcall, Travel Phase, SmartFlyer Australia, Quintessentially Travel Australia, and The Cruise Centre).

WHAT IS HAPPENING AT YOUR ORGANISATION THAT THE INDUSTRY NEEDS TO KNOW?

This year we celebrated a milestone of 35 years in the travel industry! This month, we are hosting our annual Goldman Group conference in Noosa, which allows us to get our staff and suppliers together to discuss what is in store for 2019. We recently released The Hotel Book, which is a collection of stories and itineraries from some of our favourite partner hotels.

WHAT LESSON HAVE YOU LEARNT RECENTLY THAT YOU ARE IMPLEMENTING?

KARRYON_the_goldman_brothers

Feedback from your staff is a crucial component of running a business well. At our Travelcall office in Melbourne, I recently implemented “listening lunches” as important conversations are best held over food. I host lunch with the team and we discuss what is working well for us, what we can be doing better, and any upcoming challenges that we are facing.

WHAT KIND OF TRENDS ARE YOU SEEING WITH TRAVELLERS?

KARRYON_genz_trends

Australian travellers are seeking unique experiences and cultural encounters, and are always keen to experience ‘the next big thing’. We are increasingly seeing that big is no longer beautiful, and small and intimate is in. The current view among travellers is ‘good things come in small packages’. This is translating into increased demand for bookings onboard smaller cruise ships visiting boutique ports, customised small tours, and bespoke experiences such as exclusive openings and private exhibitions.

Another key trend, thanks to the emergence of Gen Z as part of the decision-making process, is travelling to Instagram-able destinations to document travel experiences. We are increasingly receiving booking requests via Instagram and we sell on the social platform. We receive direct messages from customers saying, ‘I want that’. Instagram as a platform has really influenced the way younger generations research and undertake travel.

Multi-generational travel is also trending, and families are seeking immersive cultural experiences off the beaten path, which deliver authentic connections with locals. Destinations on the bucket list for families in 2019 include Iceland; Galapagos Islands; Cuba; Antarctica; Botswana; and Mongolia.

WHO INSPIRES YOU WITHIN OUR INDUSTRY?

KARRYON_GoldmanGroup_Virtuoso_dad_inspiration

My father, Tom Goldman, has experienced 55 years in the travel industry and still has a passion for clients and fulfilling what they need. Furthermore, the fact that he can manually calculate ticket costings in his head, and has trusted my brother and I to run and expand the family business, makes him an inspiration to me.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO YOU BEING A VIRTUOSO MEMBER/ADVISOR?

KARRYON_Anthony_Goldman_Virtuoso

We are able to leverage relationships with suppliers globally and form a human connection. In a nutshell, we get to work with the best of the best in the travel industry.

WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE THE INDUSTRY IN 3-5 YEARS?

KARRYON_sharpenpencil

Sharpening the pencil with agency remuneration. I want more suppliers to view us as true ambassadors for their businesses, thus increasing our commissions and other remunerations.

WHAT MESSAGE WOULD YOU SHARE TO A STUDENT INTERESTED IN ENTERING THE INDUSTRY?

KARRYON_travel_students

To embrace the travel industry as a lifestyle, as opposed to a career. Enjoy the journey wherever it may take you.

HOW DID YOU START YOUR CAREER WITHIN THE INDUSTRY?

I started my career in travel working for the family business but left to forge a career in advertising and marketing. I worked for global companies including J Walter Thompson, Leo Burnett and Village Roadshow, and after a 20-year spell I decided it was time to return to my roots. In 2003, we embarked on an expansion program for The Goldman Group, and five years on, there’s no looking back!

WHAT IS IT ABOUT THE TRAVEL INDUSTRY THAT YOU LOVE THE MOST AND WHY?

KARRYON_anthony_goldman_travels.jpg

The travel industry weathers many changes, and the Goldman Group gets to see it all and experience plenty. We also get to work with people from all walks of life, across the globe. It is truly a unique industry where no two weeks are the same – one day you’re in the office, the next you are meeting suppliers from Asia, or exploring spice markets in the Middle East. You just never know where the day will take you.

WHAT IS IT ABOUT YOUR ORGANISATION THAT YOU LOVE AND WHY?

karryon-group-of-people-in-a-circle

Travel is in our blood, I love that we are a travel advisory group that is devoid of a call-centre mentality – we rely on relationship building to deliver the best-in-class personal service. We have served as a family business since 1983, and have nurtured relationships within our various businesses, with our supplier partners, technology partners and, just as importantly, our client partners. As third-generation travel professionals, we look forward to many more years of success and developing new, and maintaining existing relationships.

WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR MOST MEMORABLE TRIP?

karryon-Africa-safari

South Africa on safari. Being up close and personal to stunning animals makes you realise that humans inhabit a world that is occupied by numerous other species. It’s a real “big picture” moment.

IF YOU COULD TRAVEL ANYWHERE, WHERE WOULD IT BE?

KARRYON_travelforlife_anthony_goldman_family

It is not a destination for me as such, however, just being anywhere in the world with limited access to technology and surrounded by my family and closest friends is where I want to be.

Did Anthony know about the South Africa Guide on KARRYON? Now you know too. Click here to read more.

Have you worked with Anthony? Share your fun stories.