Getting To Know You

Share this article

#travelforlife: Meet Kate Dalton, Trade Account Manager VIC/TAS of Cathay Pacific Airways

Say hello to the inspiring people in the industry who’ve chosen ‘travel for life’ as their career. They are ultra passionate, much-loved and inspire others by going above & beyond in their roles.

Say hello to the inspiring people in the industry who’ve chosen ‘travel for life’ as their career. They are ultra passionate, much-loved and inspire others by going above & beyond in their roles.

We spoke to Kate Dalton, Cathay Pacific Airways Trade Account Manager for VIC/TAS about everything from what’s news at the airline, where do the family love to travel too and of course what’s happening on Gogglebox!

What does your day normally look like working at Cathay Pacific Airways?

My days are always varied and very interesting. They can range from Product Presentations, Account /agent appointments to drive more Cathay Sales, attending functions, analysing revenue/running reports, problem solving or even conducting aircraft famils at the Airport.

What is happening at your organisation that’s important for the industry to know?

KARRYON_travelforlife_kate_dalton_10

The airline industry will no doubt continue to be very competitive, and impacts of global economic events will continue to affect our business. The only way to succeed in this dynamic and competitive landscape is to keep up to date with the trends and new innovations. That means evolving and getting better at what we do – all the time! This year we will be receiving our highly anticipated new fuel Efficient A350 1000s and expanding our new 10 destinations, such as Washington, Seattle and Cape Town (to name a few!).

What message would you share to a student entering the industry for the first time?

KARRYON_travelforlife_Kate_Dalton_12

I am a strong supporter of new Industry inductees as they will ensure the future of travel and tourism. I have been conducting presentations at the Jetset Training College for the past decade in order to provide students with an insight into the Airline industry. I encourage the students to show initiative, interest and be dedicated. Whilst the young ones normally are impatient, there is no substitute for hard work and ethical conduct – this all pays off in the end.

How did you get started within the industry?

KARRYON_travelforlife_kate_dalton_08

After I completed my Higher School Certificate (HSC) I studied a Degree in Travel and Tourism at the William Angliss College. I was so excited when I landed a job at Australian Airlines which eventually merged into Qantas. Over 13 years I moved through the ranks, working in Departments such as Reservations, Holidays,  Retail, Groups, Conventions and finally found my home as a Business Development Manager in Sales (undoubtedly my most enjoyable and rewarding role).

I left the industry to raise my 2 daughters but returned to the Industry as a Business Development Manager for the Jetset Travelworld Group which is now known as Helloworld ….the rest is history.

What is it about the travel industry that you love the most and why?

KARRYON_travelforlife_kate_dalton_07

Having been in this Industry for over 30 years. I love that we work with people who are so passionate about Travel and different life experiences. A good example of this is the festive vibe of the Annual TraveLeague Christmas event in VIC. Over 1000 of us come to celebrate our partnerships and friendships plus we all generously support a chosen worthy Charity (raised $35K at the last event for FAQU).

What is it about your organisation that you love and why?

KARRYON_travelforlife_kate_dalton_06

I feel privileged to be able to represent such a trusted, high profile, International Brand to our Industry. Even though we host a large brand, our outport is relatively small in employee numbers so we feel more like a family. I love the way that I can solve a problem with a quick call to our staff at check in. I learn a lot as everything is so hands on due to our limited resources.

What has been your most memorable trip with your family?

KARRYON_travelforlife_kate_dalton_01

Being in the industry means we can often have some great holidays. Our most recent trip in November to South of France was one of our most memorable. My husband, Matt and I met our 2 Daughters (Millie 20, Holly 19) and we had an amazing apartment in the heart of Aix-en-Provence. Normally previous holidays were reliant on speedy wifi and a wonderful pool, however it was great to share daily French life with my daughters and explore the villages together.

Being on Gogglebox would you consider doing a travel show with Anastasia and Faye?

KARRYON_travelforlife_kate_dalton_02

Absolutely, as Ana and Faye are dear friends of ours. We have not had a chance to visit Greece so the Greek girls could show us local Greece (on our bucket list). I actually think Matt and Ana would do all the talking while Faye, my girls and I could just sun-bake in the background!

Which celebrity would you take on a holiday with you?

I can only think of a number of wonderful women such as Julia Morris, Kitty Flannigan and Kath n Kim (characters for a laugh!). A Cruise together would be great fun.

Have you worked with Kate? Share your fun stories.