Industry HQ

Share this article

roomsXML – Cool for School

In India, the wealth is concentrated in the southern regions, stimulating migration from the northern states. Sadly, much of the labour is unskilled and whilst the father may find work, the children cannot fit into school, speak the local language or understand local customs.

In India, the wealth is concentrated in the southern regions, stimulating migration from the northern states. Sadly, much of the labour is unskilled and whilst the father may find work, the children cannot fit into school, speak the local language or understand local customs.

If the children cannot integrate they regularly end up as “rubbish pickers”.  Another generation is lost.

The Samridhdhi trust  primarily works as a bridging educational operation that helps children who have migrated to get ready for mainstream school. They are given extra classes, taught the local language, given a meal a day and have their educational level lifted so they have a chance.

IMG_6658

IMG_6666

As part of their ongoing triple bottom line policy, roomsXML support a number of charitable initiatives including sponsoring 50 school kids in Bangalore, India, through the Samridhdhi Trust. Not only do roomsXML  sponsor but are actively involved in strategy, promotion and corporate engagement. Mark Luckey, roomsXML MD Asia Pac, explains

“We have a history of dealing with indian technology since 2004 and felt if we benefitted from India, we should give something back. Samridhdhi staff selflessly give their time, working for a pittance, to get these kids school ready.  In terms of bang for buck, our donation makes a massive difference”

Mark Luckey, Managing Director, roomsXML, Asia Pacific

IMG_6672

“Through our rewards program, a number of travel agents have been phenomenally generous in giving up their rewards, which we match, to support the cause. Once it got to that stage, I felt we had an obligation to the agents to be able to say “We have been there, we have met with Mom, Seema and Neena, we have spoken to the kids.” On that score, there are some agents who really need to be thanked.”

IMG_6738

Agents who have given up their contributions to support the education initiatives include; Reho Travel, Balwyn Travel, East Ivanhoe Travel and Cruise, Departure Lounge Berwick, Goway Travel, Boutique Travel, BCD Travel NZ, Impact organisation Travel, Interasia, Jones and Turner, Nexus Travel, Premium Holidays, Shamrock Travel, Travel Studio, Travel Insights, Travel our World Allendale Square, World Journeys, United Travel and Worldwide Travel and Cruise.

Mark Says “These agents are gold. We work in an industry which is incentive driven. These guys see their community as something bigger and deserve credit for what they are enabling.  Guys – I have been there, seen it, felt and experienced the difference it makes”.

IMG_6714

IMG_6725

Mark has previously visited 5 schools including teaching a class in 2013, but this time he took his 7 year old daughter Jessica, wife Sasha (roomsXML BDM) and dad to see a different part of India.

“Jess was at first petrified.  It’s a very raw environment, a big stretch to believe that this is real for some kids.  Aussie kids find it hard to believe there is no iPad and computer, never mind dirt floors, shanty towns and no running water.  For all of us it remains a humbling experience, but one which I love is part of my day to day work. Within half an hour she was writing on the board and spelling out words with them.  Very cool.

“My message to agents, whether they want to support one of our causes or one of their own, is find a cause that resonates, give, get involved and watch the difference you can make.  I’ve personally seen what these agents are helping us support.  This week, everyone saw what Gate 7 helped Project Karma achieve.  It’s a big world out there and its very rewarding to make a difference.”

Do you have a cause that resonates with you?