Social media is particularly important for those in the travel industry as it helps find new trends, sources and connects with customers, audiences and stakeholders in a much deeper level.
The New York Metropolitan Museum of Art is one of the top 10 museums in the world and in the 2015 fiscal year reported 6.3 million visitors and has a social media landscape which looks like this:
- Facebook: 1.280,000 likes
- Twitter: 1 million followers
- Instagram: 750,000 followers
- Pinterest: 560,000 followers
- YouTube: 17,492,000 video views and 29,000 subscribers
Responsible for maintaining a robust presence across the various social media channels and tasked with the mission to tell a million + stories, about a million + pieces of art to a billion + people is Chief Digital Officer Sree Sreenivasa.
Scree shared some tips and trends to be aware of and tools that can help you get more out of the social media arena.
10 Social Media Tips
- What is commonsense in normal life is common sense in social media.
- Sustaining social media – monitoring your activity, staying informed and connected, consider tools such as hootsuite.com, www.tweedeck.com to manage accounts and www.nutshellmail.com or www.twilert.com for social media alerts.
- You don’t have to jump on every social media platform – consider what makes sense for your business, your workflow and your life.
- Twitter Handles – Make your twitter handle the shortest most memorable you can think of, as it could be what you become known for.
- Hashtags – have a hashtag strategy as this will help to make your social media posts more permanent. Make sure hashtags are unique and short. (If you want to search the meaning of a hashtag visit tagdef.com.)
- Newish tool to consider – Rebel Mouse a digital publishing platform wired for social.
- Content that will boost Social Media engagement: 80% helpful and 20% promotional.
- Free tools for creating images for social media: @canva, @foto_com, @picassoimage and @instaquoteapp. Ever wanted to create your own GIF file check out www.giphy.com.
- Change your media diet consider subscribing to Mashable, The Verge, Readwrite, Lifehacker and Business Insider for trends and news.
- Winning Social Media formula – your social media activity should have as many as these attributes as possible: helpful, useful, timely, informative, relevant, practical, actionable, generous, credible, brief, entertaining, fun and occasionally funny.
And finally Scree shared his ‘Dirty Secret of Social Media’ –
‘Almost everyone will miss everything you do on social media until you make a mistake’
Do you have any social media tips? Share them with our readers in the comment section below…
Share this story