This week as part of our ‘Creative hero’ series, we’re speaking to Santo Scidone, Owner Consultant from helloworld in Armadale about the travel career he’s carved out for himself.
1. When and where did you start off your travel career?
My Travel Career started at Traveland Armadale back in October 1993, as a Domestic Consultant, then progressed to International Consultant and in July 1997 to Owner/Consultant.
2. What are the 3 key skills every successful travel agent should have?
Key skills to be a successful consultant in my experience are:
- Good listening skills and understanding your client’s requests and wishes are key
- Product knowledge gained from in-house training, famils, personal travels, product and function nights
- Be passionate and enthusiastic about what you do, and show interest in your clients’ holidays
3. What has been the most successful moment in your career so far?
The most successful moment in my travel career is making Creative Star Performer for 12 years in a row. Also building and running a successful travel agency.
4. What’s the most rewarding part of your job?
The most rewarding part of my job is hearing from clients when they return from a successful holiday that you worked hard to plan for them, and you feel that sense of satisfaction that you’ve had a positive impact on someone’s life. The opportunity to travel is also very rewarding.
5. What are your best sellers at the moment?
We have a diverse clientele – our top sellers are Europe, Asia Holidays, Cruising Asia and Mediterranean, River Cruising, USA Holidays and South America is also a popular destination.
6. What sales tools are you using the most in your role?
Creative Brochures and the new online system launched by Creative this year, which when fully rolled out will be an industry leader.
7. Where do you get a lot of your destination and itinerary information from?
From brochures, online tools, in-house training and personal travels.
8. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
10 years from now I see myself travelling the world, as travel is my passion. I still see the travel agency network as an important tool for clients to book their travel needs so I’m really interested in developing a new training system for the next generation of travel agents.
Have any questions for Santo? Ask them below and we’ll get you the answer.
Share this story