Latest News

Share this article

Taylor Swift is NYC’s Newest Tourism Ambassador

"Welcome to New York" is not just a song title from country singer, Taylor Swift but the latest slogan for New York City’s newest tourist ambassador.

“Welcome to New York” is not just a song title from country singer, Taylor Swift but the latest slogan for New York City’s newest tourist ambassador.

Taylor Swift might have grown up in Pennsylvania and most people might associate her with Nashville but the pretty country-singer is New York City’s newest ambassador for tourism.

New York City’s offical marketing and tourism organization, NYC & Company yesterday announced Taylor Swift’s new role.

Taylor_Swift_KarryOn

“New York kind of pulled me here like a magnet,” – Taylor Swift

Part of Swift’s new gig is to launch a series of promotional videos in which the country-turned-pop singer defines essential NYC slang such as ‘bodega’ and ‘stoop’.

“New York kind of pulled me here like a magnet. I was intimidated by the fact that it was bright and bold and loud and now I know that I should run towards things like that.”

Taylor Swift

Swift has been busy working on her new album, 1989 and with the name of the first single on the album being ‘Welcome to New York’ it’s easy to see how the city has influenced her songwriting. However, the singer moved to New York only recently and New Yorkers are notoriously stingy in awarding the label ‘New Yorker’ to anyone who wasn’t born and raised in the city. Not all the locals are happy with the new announcement.

Do you think Taylor Swift is a suitable ambassador for NYC?