Industry HQ

Share this article

Movers + Shakers: Matt Symonds steps into BDM role for NSW & ACT at Designer Journeys

Travel advisors, get ready to see a familiar face at Designer Journeys. The Melbourne-based company has appointed Matt Symonds to the position of Business Development Manager, NSW & ACT - and he plans to hit the ground running.

Travel advisors, get ready to see a familiar face at Designer Journeys. The Melbourne-based company has appointed Matt Symonds to the position of Business Development Manager, NSW & ACT – and he plans to hit the ground running.

Symonds brings plenty of travel industry experience to the role across rail, aviation, hospitality, touring and destination sales.

“I’m really excited to join Designer Journeys as its BDM for NSW and ACT,” he told Karryon

“Its focus on creating hyper-personalised travel experiences is really unique, and I can’t wait to show travel agents across Australia how it can streamline their workflow and unlock incredible opportunities for their clients.”

Designer Journeys

During the COVID-19 pandemic, Symonds shifted his focus to tour guiding in Katherine and Kakadu, and exploring the Great Barrier Reef, but his end goal was the same.

“I knew I wanted to get back to what I love – connecting with agents and friends to introduce them to unforgettable travel experiences,” he said.

“Designer Journeys’ commitment to crafting bespoke itineraries with hidden gems and exclusive access makes them stand out, and I’m confident I can help travel agents leverage their platform to deliver amazing itineraries journeys for their clients.

“Returning to the travel industry as Designer Journeys’ BDM feels like coming home. I’ve seen firsthand the challenges travel agents face, and Designer Journeys’ platform is a game-changer.”

Designer Journeys CEO Matt McCann said the company was thrilled to welcome the new recruit, who will be based in Sydney. 

“Matt has an awesome background in the travel industry and is the perfect person to re-connect to his agency network and show them how much Designer Journeys can benefit their businesses,” he told Karryon.

“With our best-performing travel agents boasting conversion rates of over 70 per cent when using our product, the biggest priority is letting new agents know how they can use us, what the product is, and why we’re being such a success with the savvy agents who already utilise our services.

“Matt is definitely the person for that role in Sydney and Canberra.”

Last year, Designer Journeys launched its Custom Group Tours for more than 70 destinations, leveraging a global network of 258 local designers to assist travel advisors in creating bespoke group tours for clients.