Industry HQ

Share this article

Movers + Shakers: AFTA appoints Nina Hedges as Compliance Manager

The Australian Federation of Travel Agents (AFTA) has added industry stalwart Nina Hedges as Compliance Manager while farewelling Head of Compliance & Operations Naomi Menon, who leaves the organisation for a new role outside the travel sector.

The Australian Federation of Travel Agents (AFTA) has added industry stalwart Nina Hedges as Compliance Manager while farewelling Head of Compliance & Operations Naomi Menon, who leaves the organisation for a new role outside the travel sector.

Ms Hedges has 17 years’ experience in travel and joins AFTA after five years at Flight Centre Travel Group as Customer Liaison and Risk Manager.

She brings extensive experience in relationship building, Australian Consumer Law, dispute resolution and travel agency management and mentoring from previous roles. 

“I’m delighted to be stepping into this new role and I’m committed to building on the great work AFTA is already doing in growing awareness of the benefits for consumers that only come from booking with an ATAS-accredited travel business,” Ms Hedges said.

“I look forward to meeting and engaging with AFTA members as we work together to maintain the integrity of the ATAS scheme in the evolving travel landscape.”

The outgoing Head of Compliance & Operations, Ms Menon, who joined AFTA as National Manager – Compliance & Membership in April 2016, said she was honoured to support members, particularly through the challenges of the last 2.5 years.

“I would like to thank the AFTA team for their support, Dean and the AFTA Board, in particular the amazing Chair, Mr Tom Manwaring, who it has been an absolute privilege to have worked with,” she said.

“It had always been my intent to move to a new challenge once I was admitted as a lawyer, and I am excited for the new chapter ahead.” 

AFTA CEO Dean Long
AFTA CEO Dean Long.

AFTA CEO Dean Long said: “I’m pleased to welcome Nina to the AFTA team. Her proven record in managing stakeholder relationships with business, industry and government will support AFTA and its members in our ongoing efforts to uphold our code and charter and maintain the value of booking with ATAS-accredited travel professionals and businesses.” 

“While it’s sad to be farewelling Naomi after 6.5 years of exemplary service, I am so excited to see her progress in her career. I would like to thank her for her outstanding contribution during her time here.” 

To find out more, visit afta.com.au