Industry HQ

Share this article

Movers + Shakers: Pamela Nielsen moves into Qld & WA BDM role for Virgin Voyages

Travel the World’s Pamela Nielsen has been appointed Queensland and Western Australia Business Development Manager for Virgin Voyages, which made its long-awaited debut in Australian waters this summer.

Travel the World’s Pamela Nielsen has been appointed Queensland and Western Australia Business Development Manager for Virgin Voyages, which made its long-awaited debut in Australian waters this summer.

Sharon Hando, Director of Sales for Travel the World, tells Karryon Nielsen is a perfect fit for the role.

“We are absolutely thrilled to be working with Pam as together we continue to build awareness of the Virgin Voyages brand in Australia,” she says. 

“Pam has hit the ground running and already we see her strategic focus returning results.”

As part of the National Sales team, Queensland-based Nielsen says her new role will involve “a blend of relationship management, strategic planning, market analysis and business development, all focused on driving growth and success in the Queensland and WA markets for Virgin Voyages”.

Virgin Voyages Travel the World Pamela Nielsen
Pamela Nielsen

“It’s opening up a new and exciting chapter in my career,” she tells Karryon

“I will be working in a new market and introducing a new brand; it’s a double whammy for me and will offer invaluable growth opportunities both professionally and personally. 

“Being part of the Travel the World team that establishes Virgin Voyages in Australia means contributing to the brand’s legacy. It’s a chance to be part of something big and hopefully leave my mark.”

Ironically, before picking up the role, Nielsen says she had never cruised before. But one gets the feeling she’ll be spending a lot more time on board cruise ships after her first sailing with Virgin Voyages’ Resilient Lady. 

“I had never cruised before; I had never wanted to cruise before. Now, post my first cruise with Virgin Voyages in December, I am converting everyone I speak to, to get onboard!” she explains. 

When it comes to her Resilient Lady highlights, Nielsen flags the onboard dining and entertainment.

“The culinary offerings were nothing short of exceptional. The freedom to select any dish from the menu, all within the inclusive package, was a bonus and fantastic value,” she says.

“The onboard entertainment was truly captivating making the ship a world in itself, the idea of disembarking is almost secondary.

Ultimately, Nielsen says she wants to share her experiences on board Virgin Voyages ships to help “put Virgin Voyages on the map here in Australia”.

Virgin Voyages Resilient Lady
The decks of Resilient Lady

“Using that to drive engagement, build trust and enhance the brand’s image,” she states. 

“I will be encouraging my friends, key accounts and agents, to explore the world of cruising with Virgin Voyages, hopefully creating a ripple effect from their own stories and experience.

“The combination of a fun brand, fantastic offerings, and the satisfaction of introducing others to a new experience and knowing they are going to love it… what’s not to enjoy?”

Read our interview with the cruise line’s VP of International Sales & Marketing, Shane Riley.

Karryon was also at Virgin Voyages’ Scarlet Night soiree in Sydney to welcome Resilient Lady’s arrival in Australia.