Industry HQ

Share this article

TRAVEL IN-DEPTH: AAT Kings' Emma Prineas on Aussies falling in love with Aus

She may be the new person over at AAT Kings, but Head of Marketing, Emma Prineas, has big plans to help Aussies fall back in love with their backyard, & in turn, increase the operator's sales.

She may be the new person over at AAT Kings, but Head of Marketing, Emma Prineas, has big plans to help Aussies fall back in love with their backyard, & in turn, increase the operator’s sales.

Before Emma could completely settle into her chair inside AAT Kings’ Sydney headquarters, KARRYON grabbed her for a one-on-one chat, during which she described the 100-year-old brand as important to touring as Qantas is to flying.

The Marketing boss said her biggest hurdle will be reversing the misconception of Australia being a “later” destination so that Aussies see it as a “now AND later” travel opportunity.

“You might say that my goal is to encourage people to take one week out, one of their annual holidays and plan a trip to one of Australia’s most iconic places, really just get out there and explore!”

Emma Prineas, AAT Kings Head of Marketing

“What’s more romantic than ancient Karijini National Park in the Pilbara, the Field of Light at Sunrise in Uluru, swimming with dolphins in Monkey Mia, drinking wine in Margaret River and meeting seals in Kangaroo Island?”

“People travel from all over the world to see what’s right here in front of us.”

Read on for our full chat with Emma Prineas:

Congratulations on the new gig with AAT Kings, what attracted you to the brand?

karryon-emma-prineas-in-australia-aat-kings

Having been the “go to” for travelling throughout Australia for over 100 years, AAT Kings is to touring, what Qantas is to flying – a true heritage brand and one of the few in the Australian travel industry. I was attracted to the opportunity to help shape a brand that has been so successful for so long, into a new growth phase.

Anyone who knows me, knows that sustainable and respectful travel are absolute necessities; our industry relies on them, and I feel it’s imperative that we “walk the walk”; the TreadRight Foundation is making real changes to help protect the destinations that we visit, while AAT King’s itineraries are introducing more Australians to the rich depth of our ancient and magnificent Indigenous culture.

In your opinion, what sets AAT Kings apart from any other domestic or NZ product?

AAT Kings

AAT Kings is unquestionably the Australia and New Zealand experts. The company has been taking people to explore the hidden secrets of the Great Southern Land for over 100-years and explores further than any other operator.

It’s Australia’s largest domestic operator, and therefore can be Travel Advisors one-stop-shop for any ANZ product. Think Australia and New Zealand, think AAT Kings.

What will some of your goals be for the brand as the new head of marketing?

karryon-aat-kings-great-barrier-reef

That’s easy, my goal is to get Aussies to fall back in love with their own backyard!

It’s terrific that the world has really opened up for Aussie travellers, but there’s just so much to see in this vast country, and we tend to think “I’ll do it later”, when the reality is that there’s so much to see here, you can see it now AND later!

Our backyard is just overflowing with natural riches, and we need to recognise, appreciate and caretake for our most pristine and vulnerable places – and that will come from people visiting and realising the priceless environment that we have. Think of the Great Barrier Reef, the Tarkine, and the Pilbara; they are just around the corner, waiting to be explored and each easily done in a week.

Of course, there are some great “flop and drop” deals to be had nearby… but the experience of actually getting out there, of exploring these ancient landscapes, creates unrivalled memories.

You might say that my goal is to encourage people to take one week out, one of their annual holidays and plan a trip to one of Australia’s most iconic places, really just get out there and explore! What’s more romantic than ancient Karijini National Park in the Pilbara, the Field of Light at Sunrise in Uluru, swimming with dolphins in Monkey Mia, drinking wine in Margaret River and meeting seals in Kangaroo Island? People travel from all over the world to see what’s right here in front of us.

Tell us some new marketing techniques you hope to experiment with over the next 12 months?

karryon-aat-kings

Everyone is time poor, so my goal is to simplify marketing for our trade partners, providing a clear toolkit and making the communication of our product range easy. With smart highly targeted digital marketing, we’ll target guests in the dreaming phase and drive them directly into the Travel Advisors – so that when they arrive, all consultants will need to do is think “AAT Kings” and book. Easy.

What opportunities do you see to improve brand awareness in Australia & overseas?

NewZealand

I see huge opportunities in working with micro-influencers, who can connect with their audiences in a personal way. Guests are savvier than ever before, so it’s important to offer expertise in a genuine way, as well as genuine content that inspires travellers. AAT Kings level of experience, depth and breadth of the product means that we can connect with people who want to see Australia, through user-generated content, encouraging genuine sharing of experience with their peers.

How will you work with Travel Advisors to improve the brand’s visibility & sales among Aussie travellers?

karryon-emma-prineas-in-australia-aat-kings-2

Location, location, location – look out for AAT Kings over the coming months, as we have plans to appear more than ever before!

We’re going to work to provide the trade with all the materials they need to grow their domestic business. Travel Advisors are at the heart of our business, and I’m committed to doing everything possible to inspire travellers to see their backyard and go to their local agent to do so.

Join us in congratulating Emma on her new role. Have you travelled with AAT Kings? Tell us about your experience below.