Australia’s #1 travel industry digital media brand: Karryon is on the hunt for a Sydney HQ based News Editor to lead our online 24/7 travel industry news coverage.
This is a fantastic opportunity to drive our travel industry news and calls for a pragmatic individual with at least three years’ experience in an online travel news related environment.
Coming into our seventh year of operations, we are at an exciting, pivotal point in our lifespan where we have a number of next-level initiatives to take to market, with the help of someone like you.
Who are we looking for?
We’re putting the feelers out for a digital native who understands the travel media landscape’s challenges and opportunities and who can bring strong ethics and sustainable values to everything we do.
With bags of ideas and initiative, ideally, you should have a journalism qualification, a sound working knowledge of the Australian travel industry and a desire to break stories and rules in a fast-paced, dynamic digital media environment.
While there will be occasional travel in the role, this is a hands-on gig for a sharp, curious and entertaining newshound who loves cutting to the chase to tell the stories our audience needs to know.
As a prominent face of the Karryon brand, you’ll need to be a positive, strong communicator who’s not afraid to challenge the norms to get to the bottom of a story.
Your duties and responsibilities will include (but not be limited to):
- Creating relevant and timely daily news stories including breaking news, interviews and partner-related updates
- Assembling and publishing our six-day a week EDM with new stories to deadline
- Publishing all news content across our leading social media channels
- Liaising with PR agencies and newsfeeds to foster long-term relationships
- Assigning stories to other team members (some remote) and freelancers
- Monitoring site traffic and results, and managing an evolving news strategy to ensure results are achieved consistently across all channels including written content, social media and video
- Growing subscribers and engagement across our social media channels and email databases
- Working collaboratively with our other core teams of the business, including partnerships and production and our creative and development team in Byron Bay to drive commercially successful outcomes
- Helping develop new business opportunities as required
- Working collaboratively on Karryon own event content strategies when required
- Collaborating on initiatives with sister business traveltochangetheworld.com
- Representing Karryon at external events as needed including out of hours
What’s in it for you?
- Join a progressive, collaborative culture that’s climate positive and lives a sustainable pledge that includes giving back and educating and influencing our trade/consumer hybrid audience on responsible travel
- Play a leading role in an independent lifestyle media business that genuinely cares about people, wildlife and the planet as well as our partners and the audience it represents
- Work with a dynamic team in our gorgeous co-share space next to Town Hall in Sydney as well as occasional visits to our Byron Bay office
- Enjoy an extra day leave for your birthday and time given for community-based projects or initiatives
- Flexible working arrangements based on individual needs and schedule
- Travel perks and benefits
Sound like you? Send us your CV and a cover letter to [email protected] with some examples of your work, and we’ll go from there.
Closing date for applications is Friday 21 February 2020.
Applicants must hold Australian permanent residency status. And thanks, but no recruitment agencies please.
Share this story