Craving a little more glitz, glam, and L.A. magic in your life right now? You’ll be stoked to learn about Los Angeles Tourism’s awesome new digital campaign, featuring streaming sunsets, live Q&A’s, playlists, puzzles and more!
Known in Hollywood for the captivating period just around sunset when the sun casts golden hues of warm light in a stop-in-your-tracks intoxicating way, “magic hour” has always been a little more special in Los Angeles, luring filmmakers, artists and visitors to chase, capture and sing about it.
Now, everyone is welcome to (virtually) join Magic Hour, thanks to a new campaign from the Los Angeles Tourism & Convention Board.
Daily, Los Angeles Tourism will celebrate the people and places that make L.A. magical, featuring live streaming sunsets from Venice Beach, a virtual location tour with a professional location scout, a local photographer’s tips on capturing L.A.’s epic light and more on its social channels and at magic hour.
Be transported to L.A.
“Collectively, we are on our couches, at our kitchen tables, peering out our windows and dreaming for the day we are on the other side of this pandemic,” stated Don Skeoch, chief marketing officer for Los Angeles Tourism.
“Whether a form of escapism or driving inspiration for a future trip, wanderlust is at an all-time high, and we want to bring a taste of Los Angeles to these dreamers while also providing the opportunity to learn something new,”
Don Skeoch, chief marketing officer for Los Angeles Tourism.
- Los Angeles: 6:30 pm
- Auckland/Wellington/Christchurch: 1:35pm
- Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane: 11:35am
- Adelaide: 11:05am
- Perth: 9:35am
- Singapore/Kuala Lumpur/Manila: 9:35am
- Jakarta/Bangkok: 8:35am
While watching the sun sink into the glittering Pacific Ocean, followers of @discoverLA’s social channels will be invited to recreate cocktail and other recipes from the local restaurant community or listen to the sounds of L.A. via curated playlists.
Even more magic…
Weekly, Los Angeles Tourism will present interactive Magic Hour experiences with artists, musicians, chefs, mixologists, photographers and other magic makers hosted by @discoverLA on Instagram, Facebook, and Zoom.
First up is a Google Earth Film Location Scout of L.A. locations made famous by such films as La La Land and Blade Runner hosted by professional location scout Tristan Daoussis on April 22, followed by:
- Magic lessons on April 27 from Justin Willman, a magician, and comedian who stars in and created “Magic for Humans” on Netflix.
- Interactive coloring session on April 29 where artist George Townley will demonstrate how to illustrate L.A.’s light.
- Movie trivia with tour guides from Warner Bros. Studio Tour Hollywood.
- Discussion on L.A.’s winemaking history, paired with sips from Angeleno Wine Co.
- More, to be announced weekly.
To experience a little bit of L.A.’s magic any time of day, visitors to discoverlosangeles.com/magichour can:
- Piece together digital puzzles made from artist George Townley’s vibrant illustrations of Los Angeles icons including the LAX Theme Building, Griffith Observatory, and the Stahl House.
- Get a suggested 50 classic L.A. movies to stream.
- Take a livestream of The Petersen Automotive Museum’s famous vault, a virtual tour of L.A.’s first UNESCO World Heritage Site – the Hollyhock House, experience an immersive environment of light and sound in the spirit of Yayoi Kusama’s Infinity Mirrored Room – The Souls of Millions of Light Years Away courtesy of The Broad, and participate in other cultural experiences.
- Try new mindful and fitness experiences, like The Gentle Barn’s meditation with an animal or VolleyCamp Hermosa’s webinars to improve beach volleyball skills from the living room.
- Rock out to a series of L.A. playlists on Spotify.
- Download backgrounds for virtual meetings or happy hours.
Happy California dreaming…
Share this story