Cruise Lines International Association has confirmed that “without warning” CLIA Cruise Line members have been forced to eliminate all Cuba destinations from their itineraries, effective immediately.

It comes after Donald Trump’s announcement on Wednesday about major restrictions on US travel to Cuba including banning previously approved cruise line travel to Cuba.

CLIA said the decision affects nearly 800,000 passenger bookings that are currently scheduled or already underway.

The affected bookings had been made under a general license previously issued by the United States Government that authorised “people to people” travel to Cuba.

Trump’s new travel restrictions effectively make it illegal to cruise to Cuba from the United States.

“While this situation is completely beyond our control, we are genuinely sorry for all cruise line guests who were looking forward to their previously booked itineraries to Cuba”.

Chairman of Cruise Lines International Association Adam Goldstein

cuba-karryon

“We are disappointed that cruises will no longer be operating to Cuba,” he said.

Royal Caribbean said it was in the process of informing guests of revised itineraries for a limited number of sailings with Cuban port calls.

All 2019 sailings on the Majesty of the Seas and Empress of the Seas will have alternative ports in the Caribbean.

Guests will have the option to cancel their current booking for a full refund or to keep their sailing date with a new itinerary and receive a 50% refund.

“We are working on alternate itineraries for 2020 sailings and will share those details with guests and travel partners as they become available,” the cruise line said in an official statement.

 

Are many of your clients affected by the cruise ban?