TNZ Stop dreaming and go
TNZ Stop dreaming and go

Melbourne in lockdown for additional 7 days: Regional VIC restrictions eased

Melbourne will be remaining in lockdown for a further 7-days from 11:59pm 3 June, with restrictions eased for regional Victoria, as the 'kappa variant' outbreak of COVID-19 continues to spread.

Melbourne will be remaining in lockdown for a further 7-days from 11:59pm 3 June, with restrictions eased for regional Victoria, as the ‘kappa variant’ outbreak of COVID-19 continues to spread.

The circuit breaker lockdown has been extended for another 7 days for those in Melbourne, with residents of regional Victoria seeing an ease in lockdown restrictions.

Mr Merlino says with only 2% of the country fully vaccinated, we must do all we can contain the spread of this virus.

From 11:59pm 3 June the rules are as follow:

  • In Melbourne, masks must be worn everywhere, inside and outside, unless you’re in your home.

There are 5 reasons to leave home:

  • Shopping for necessary goods and services – within 10km from home where possible
  • Authorised work or permitted education
  • Exercise with one other person for a maximum of two hours
  • Caregiving, compassionate, and medical reasons
  • The new one… to get vaccinated.

Restrictions in regional VIC will be eased. The five reasons to leave home and distance radius has been removed. However, gathering limits and social distancing measures remain in place.

Those who live in Melbourne are being urged not to travel to regional Victoria for any reason.

“I want to be up-front with people that even if all goes well, we won’t be able to have people from Melbourne travelling to regional Victoria during the Queen’s birthday long weekend,” Mr Merlino said.

Businesses most affected by the lockdowns, including retail, tourism and hospitality will be given further financial support.

What’s going on?

Victoria has six new locally acquired COVID-19 cases.

The new cases take the total number of infections in the current outbreak of the Indian variant of the virus to 60, from 54.

Federal Health Department secretary Brendan Murphy told a Senate estimates hearing on Wednesday one of the six new cases was a person who travelled to NSW.

The majority of the rest are family contacts and there were no new cases in aged care, he added.

NSW on high alert

Jervis Bay, NSW

The NSW South Coast is on high alert after a person from Melbourne who was later diagnosed with COVID-19 visited the area late last month.

Extra coronavirus testing clinics have been set up after Victorian health officials notified NSW Health the person visited Jervis Bay, Goulburn, Hyams Beach and Vincentia on May 23 and 24.

The person had some symptoms on May 25, after driving back to Melbourne on May 24, and tested positive on Monday, May 31 – almost a week later.

NSW Health has now issued a list of venues of concern around Jervis Bay and is urging anyone who visited them at the times listed on the department’s website to get in contact, to get tested and to isolate until they receive further instructions.

Anyone who lives in Jervis Bay or has visited Jervis Bay since May 22 is asked to get tested and to isolate if they have even the mildest of cold-like symptoms.

So far, no new COVID-19 cases have been recorded in NSW.

Source: AAP