Among the masses, it’s known as ‘Surf City’ thanks to its spectacular range of beaches, but for those in the know, Huntington Beach doubles up as ‘Dog City’ where canine lovers can go to get their doggy fix while travelling.
Speaking to KARRYON at IPW19 in Anaheim earlier this month, Huntington Beach’s Australian representative, Monique Campanella, said the city’s dog-friendly approach makes it popular among dog owners, as well as those who love to surround themselves with furry hounds.
Campanella explained that there isn’t a place in the city where visitors won’t find a pup running around, not even inside hotels.
In addition to having 10 miles of the beach is dedicated to dogs, the city puts on two Corgi Beach Days every year where some 400 Corgi-owners and their pets go surfboarding.
Alongside the destination’s famous Vans US Open of Surfing, which attracts over 10,000 people every year, the city hosts an annual Surf City Surf Dog Competition when hundreds of dogs from around the world (literally!) compete in the ocean.
“The Surf City Surf Dog competition is a really big deal,” Campanella said.
Beyond the beach, hotels do all they can to accommodate canines, including the Pasea Hotel & Spa, which recently opened Pawséa, a 1,100 square foot outdoor pup play area featuring a lifeguard station dog house and ‘Instagrammable Dog Spots’ such as the low-painted Angels Wings (similar to the adult-sized versions in West Hollywood).
Pasea Hotel & Spa also has a dog menu in its room service offerings as well as Yappy Hour, the dog alternative to Happy Hour.
READ THE LATEST US NEWS FROM IPW…
- Ruby Slippers from The Wizard of Oz are coming to L.A.
- Chatting to Lucy Rowe, President Visit USA Australia
- Las Vegas’ residency lineup for 2019 is boss!
- Here’s where you can get free currency exchange in Orlando
- Flight Centre & Helloworld Travel Aussies celebrated in the USA
- Santa Monica’s new hotel will have the city’s first rooftop pool & bar
- Snoop Dogg drops it like it’s hot at IPW
- Aussies need to stop thinking of Utah as only a snow holiday
- There’s a new, cheap way to travel from Hollywood to Disneyland
- Got questions about travel to Virginia? Ask Gate 7, the new Aussie reps
- Memphis’ new luxury hotel comes with views of the Mississippi River
- First images of Disneyland’s completed Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge are
- An indoor snow park + roller coaster are coming to New Jersey
- New York City opened its first outlet shopping centre
Have you visited Huntington Beach? Tell us about your experience in the coastal city below.
Share this story