In what is a travel tech first, Contiki has teamed up with Alexa to unveil the first-ever Amazon ‘Alexa Skill’ that creates bespoke holiday packing lists.
Could this be the time saver we’ve all been dreaming of?
The app aims to provide helpful suggestions on what to pack based on the season, with the aim of preventing users overpacking or travelling with unnecessary items.
Contiki says the ‘Alexa Skill’ will “make packing a breeze by creating personalised packing lists that are perfectly tailored to traveller’s holiday destinations,
Whether users are heading to North America’s national parks, the snowy mountains of Japan, or the historical cities of Europe.”
It’s a bit like having your mum bossing you around to do your packing for you. Which could be a good or bad thing depending on which way you look at it.
Alexa, How does it actually work?
First up, download the app for free on Amazon.
- Then enable ‘Contiki Pack my bags’
- Say yes when prompted for list access – that’s where we save the items on your packing list you still need to get.
- Ask the device, “Alexa, pack my bags” to trigger the skill
- Tell Alexa the destination and the month of travel
- Alexa will recommend items for you to pack such as clothes, accessories and toiletries
- Let Alexa know whether you have these items or not, with the missing items added to a packing list
- Add additional items to the list by saying “Alexa, add to my Contiki packing list”
- Go to the Alexa App to access the packing lists, they will also be emailed to you
Contiki says they identified digital voice assistants as an opportunity to connect with Gen-Z and millennials, with 45% of millennials using voice-assisted technology and 47.4% of the smart home market comprising of 18 – 34 year-olds.
Managing Director of Contiki, Belinda Ward says: “We set out to create a voice skill for Alexa that was both fun and useful for users, capturing Contiki’s exciting brand identity,
“We’ve been in the travel game for over 50 years so used all of our resources to curate the essential and sustainable items for the packing lists. Our aim is to take the stress out of packing and enrich traveller’s holiday experience – from packing through to travelling.”
Managing Director of Contiki, Belinda Ward
Contiki says the Alexa skill will also encourage users to travel more consciously by packing ‘more sustainably.’ The voice skill will recommend sustainable items such as eco-friendly sunscreen and biodegradable wet wipes, and discourage the use of single-use plastics. Clever.
Contiki: Pack My Bags Alexa Skill is free and available to Amazon Alexa users by downloading the Alexa Skill via the Alexa app and enabling it across Amazon Alexa devices.
Sound like a good idea to you? We’re looking forward to trying it out.
Share this story