Vibrant and buzzing with energy, Seattle in the Pacific Northwest is known for its culture, coffee and music mecca. But it’s so much more.
The perfect starting/endpoint of an amazing American road trip, such as the Pacific Coast Music Trail or the Volcanic Peaks to Sparkling Shores, Seattle is a dynamic city that ticks every single box, whether you’re into the arts, nature or amazing food and drink.
Read on for our spotlight guide on all things Seattle…
WELCOME TO SEATTLE
TOP 5 SEATTLE MUST DO’S
- Visit the original Starbucks at Pike Place Market, near the waterfront, and grab a cup of freshly brewed coffee before visiting the first Starbucks Reserve Roastery in the ever-vibrant Capitol Hill neighbourhood.
- Suitably caffeinated, ride just shy of 160 metres to the top of one of the world’s most recognisable landmarks: Seattle’s Space Needle. Recently renovated with a million-dollar budget, this iconic tower now features the only rotating glass floor in the world, as well as tilting glass walls on the open-air deck. As always, the views are absolutely spectacular from here.
- Taste the best of the Pacific Northwest at Pike Place Market and rub shoulders with the region’s cheese artisans, bakers and fishmongers. Recognised as the USA’s oldest continuously operated farmer’s market, this riot of colours, tastes and smells overlooks the Elliott Bay waterfront area. For something a bit random, take a selfie in front of the Gum Wall, located down an alleyway under the market, which, you guess it, is a wall completely covered in colourful bubble-gum!
- Surrounded by all of Seattle’s urban culture, it’s easy to forget the natural bounties that lay just beyond the city limits. For example, the majestic, glacier-capped Mount Rainier (4392m) and the surrounding national park is only 161kms from Seattle and visible on a clear day. Hike the Sourdough Ridge Trail at sunrise for amazing mountain views and picnic amongst wildflowers. Or ride the Mount Rainer scenic railroad for a 29-kilometre vintage chugga-chug-chug through the breath-taking foothills.
- And finally, no visit to Seattle would be complete without a visit to the Museum of Pop Culture (MoPOP). After all, the city has contributed so much to contemporary music – from Jimi Hendrix to Nirvana to Pearl Jam. This non-profit museum features dozens of interactive exhibits including one where visitors can, if only for a moment, experience what it’s like to perform in front of a (virtual) audience!
Seattle provides so much inspiration – just ask Mr. Grohl above! Find out more about the Seattle Sound, what happens when a comedian heads out to explore Seattle’s natural surroundings, the multi-sensory experience of Pike Place Market, all that’s great about food, drink & music, and the colours and light of Seattle.
SELF-DRIVE INSIDER GUIDES FOR SEATTLE
Seattle is a popular stop on these amazing self-drive itineraries. Start your road trip in Seattle on the Pacific Coast Music Trail or make Seattle your half way stop on the Portland roundtrip itinerary Volcanic Peaks to Sparkling Shores.
TAKE THE TUNES WITH YOU
AGENTS: JOIN THE USA DISCOVERY PROGRAM!
Get inspired by the diverse destinations and experiences available in the USA and get accredited as a USA Specialist. Maximise the unique features of the program which include the opportunity to register for live events and webinars, and peer to peer learning.
Earn specialist badges as well as bespoke partner badges as well. Currently, the USA Discovery Program has over 50 badges to complete which offers agents a fun and interactive way to learn about all that the USA has to offer.
Click here to register and get all the knowledge for the USA. Look out for the Seattle Specialist bBdge coming soon (approx Mar/Apr 2020).
PLUS! DESIGN YOUR OWN TRIP WITH THE USA TRIP PLANNER
The Visit USA Trip Planner is an amazing (and free!) tool that matches your personal travel preferences and style.
With over 230 million data points including the best places & times to visit, reviews and hidden gems, this is one smart piece of travel tech.
This little travel genius optimises your itinerary to minimise travel time, checks when attractions are open and even recommends how much time to spend at each stop off. Brilliant!
Finally, it lets you share & collaborate with your fellow road trippers and is easy to add or revise points of interest as you go.
Find out more: Trip-Planner.VisitTheUSA.com
GET ALL THE TOOLS ON BRAND USA’S TRAVEL TRADE SITE
From Trip Planners to Itineraries and the USA Discovery Program and Destination information, Brand USA’s Travel Trade Site for agents has you covered.
This article was brought to you by:
Share this story