Industry HQ

Share this article

Movers + Shakers: CLIA appoints Royal Caribbean Group CEO Jason Liberty as Chair

Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) has named Royal Caribbean Group President & CEO Jason Liberty as the new Chairman of the global organisation. He replaces MSC Cruises’ Pierfrancesco Vago, who was Chair since January 2021.

Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) has named Royal Caribbean Group President & CEO Jason Liberty as the new Chairman of the global organisation. He replaces MSC Cruises’ Pierfrancesco Vago, who was Chair since January 2021.

The CLIA Chair role provides leadership to the Global Executive Committee and Board of Directors, responsible for the overall strategic direction on behalf of its members representing 95 per cent of the world’s ocean cruise lines.

Mr Liberty became Royal Caribbean Group’s President and CEO in early 2022 and has almost 20 years of cruise industry experience, currently overseeing Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Silversea, TUI Cruises and Hapag-Lloyd Cruises.

He takes on the role of chair at a time when the international and local cruise sector is booming and working towards net-zero emissions by 2050.

IMG 2023 4 19 113624
CLIA President & CEO Kelly Craighead.

CLIA President & CEO Kelly Craighead said: “On behalf of the CLIA community, I congratulate Mr Liberty on his appointment at a time when the industry is building on the momentum of strong demand and our members are advancing ambitious sustainability initiatives in pursuit of achieving net-zero emissions by 2050.”

“Mr Liberty is a highly versatile and strategic leader who will help us build on this resurgence of travel and realise our global operating ambitions.

“I would also like to thank Mr Vago for his leadership over the past three years, navigating challenging times and creating a solid foundation for the industry’s future growth,” she added.

Mr Liberty said: “I am excited and honoured to lead this organisation as we enter a new era of cruising.”

“I look forward to working with CLIA leadership and our partners around the world to further position cruise vacations as an accessible and responsible option for today’s travellers that create positive ripple effects across the globe.”

Discover the CLIA Australasia awards finalists here.

Read the latest cruise news here.