Karryon Luxury Takeover March 2024 side lock up
Karryon Luxury Takeover March 2024 side lock up
Home Travel Industry Hub

MOVERS & SHAKERS: Meet newbies at Singapore Airlines, Collette, KARRYON & more

It’s been a big week in the travel industry with people moving up and on from previous positions into new and exciting gigs, we call them our movers & shakers.

It’s been a big week in the travel industry with people moving up and on from previous positions into new and exciting gigs, we call them our movers & shakers.

So, find out who got a new gig this week by checking out this week’s travel industry movers & shakers below or clicking here to check out last month’s new appointments.

1. Meet KARRYON’s new GM

Anthony Valeriano, GM KARRYON

ou may remember him from his younger years as a Sales Manager at Explore Holidays, or maybe you did business with him during the six years he expertly raised the profile of travel website e-Travel Blackboard.

There’s a high chance too that you may have crossed paths with him while he headed up Sales and Marketing at Travelzoo or the three years he spent leading supplier relationships at Rezdy.

It’s Anthony Valeriano, who has extensive industry experience (clearly), a collective of industry contacts, and the innovative leadership skills to take KARRYON to the next level in its fifth year.

Read more

2. Meet Collette’s new NSW/ACT BDM

Zach Gregory Joins Collette

Collette has expanded their Sales Team, welcoming Zach Gregory to Collette as the NSW/ACT Business Development Manager, joining NSW BDM Fran Gildon to cover the State. Zach joins following many years in the cruise sector.

Pictured is Zach with General Manager Alison Mead (L) and Head of Sales Amanda McCann (R) at the company centennial celebrations in Rhode Island last week.

3. Meet Brisbane Airport Corporation’s Chief Executive Officer

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 5.09.43 PM

Brisbane Airport Corporation (BAC) has appointed Gert-Jan De Graaff, a former BAC senior executive and current President and CEO of JFKIAT LLC, the operators of Terminal 4 at John F Kennedy International Airport, to lead the company from June 2018.

Mr De Graaff will replace Ms Julieanne Alroe who will retire from the company at the end of the financial year.

BAC Chairman David Peever said an extensive international search had been conducted to identify the right candidate to lead Brisbane Airport through what is expected to be an historic growth phase.

“Brisbane Airport is currently Australia’s third busiest airport by passenger numbers and aircraft movements and will, with the completion of its new parallel runway in 2020, be the best positioned airport in the country for domestic and international growth,” Mr Peever said.

“The Board’s focus is on ensuring that the company’s success continues to be derived from an airport that serves the needs of the travelling public, the aspirations of its commercial partners, and the interests of the community as a whole.

“Gert-Jan shares these values and we are confident that this, combined with his extensive international experience, will enable BAC to deliver on its considerable potential as a catalyst for economic growth for the city, region and nation.

Mr Peever said Ms Alroe would leave the airport well-positioned for the future. “Her time as CEO and MD of BAC has seen the airport transformed and recognised as one of the best in its class in the world,” he said. “For that we are all extremely grateful.”

Mr De Graaff said he was delighted to be returning to Brisbane Airport, where he held senior executive roles including General Manager Commercial Services and General Manager Strategic Planning and Development between 2007 and 2012.

“The opportunity to lead Brisbane Airport at such a critical and exciting time was too good to ignore,” he said. “The airport’s potential is exceptional, particularly in international markets, and I look forward to doing what I can to ensure that potential is realised.

“Returning to Brisbane, a place I came to love in my five years there, is also very exciting. The city, indeed the whole of Queensland, offers so much and I look forward to helping the airport play its vital role in the growth of business, trade and tourism,” Mr De-Graaff said.

Mr De Graaff is currently President and CEO of JFKIAT LLC which operates JFK Airport’s international Terminal 4, which handled just over 22 million passengers last year. He has been in that role since 2014.

Prior to that he held a variety of senior roles in Brazil, Stockholm-Arlanda Airport in Sweden and Amsterdam Airport Schiphol in the Netherlands.

BAC’s current CEO and MD Julieanne Alroe, who has led the airport since 2009, is retiring from the company at the end of June 2018.

4. Meet Banyan Tree Macau’s GM

7922FB48-9F41-421F-88E5-D1BE3C3B4A51

Banyan Tree Hotels and Resorts is delighted to announcethe appointment of Mr. Vella Ramasawmy General Manager of its Banyan Tree Macau effective from December 2017.

In his role as General Manager for Banyan Tree Macau, Mr. Ramasawmy is responsible for the overall running, administration and service standards at Banyan Tree Hotels and Resorts’ first property in Macau. He will be leading the professional team to ensure delivery of expected financial and operational results, as well as maintaining effective relations with the hotel’s stakeholders.

For the past 14 years prior to joining Banyan Tree Macau, Mr. Ramasawmy served as General Manager at multiple award-winning international hotels, most notably at Kempinski and Hyatt properties. Mr Ramasawmy is recognised for his astute business acumen and profit-oriented approach to luxury hotel management. Under his leadership, Iconic Santorini Greece was voted as the best boutique hotel in Greece by World Travel Mart and the Best Mr and Mrs Smith Hotel around the world.

A graduate of Schiller University in London majored in International Hotel and Catering Management, Mr. Ramasawmy a is a veteran senior management executive with four decades’ experience in hospitality industry. Starting out his career in food and beverage departments at properties in the Middle East, Africa, Australia and Europe, and overseeing re-launch operations for several of these, Mr Ramasawmy has developed an intimate knowledge for hotel operations for business and resort properties.

“I am delighted to join the team at Banyan Tree Macau. With my international expertise and experienced management skills, I look forward to working with the hotel’s experienced team, hand in hand, to ensure the continued success of Banyan Tree Macau as a leading luxury destination for global travellers,” says Mr. Ramasawmy.

5. Meet Singapore Airlines’ National Agency Sales Manager

Singapore Airlines is pleased to announce the appointment of Shahreen Goodrick as National Agency Sales Manager, working out of Singapore Airlines’ Sydney office effective from Monday 8 January.

Ms Goodrick rejoins the Sydney office having worked as the Airline’s Manager Marketing and Alliances New Zealand, as well as having previously held roles within the Australian Area Marketing department.

Ms Goodrick said that she is looking forward to again working in the Australian market.

“It is exciting to once again join the Sydney team where I started my career with Singapore Airlines. I am looking forward to working with our Australian trade partners as well as our local sales and distribution teams to grow our national sales efforts.”

The National Agency Sales Manager is charged with driving national sales strategy with a view to further strengthening relationships with the wider Australian travel agent community, as well as overseeing the Airlines’ New South Wales and Australian Capital Territory sales force efforts.

Did we miss someone? Send us an email & let us know.