Latest News

Share this article

Movers + Shakers: Qantas appoints new International CEO Cameron Wallace

The Qantas Group has appointed Cameron Wallace in the new role of CEO of Qantas International & Freight, while the previous CEO of Qantas Domestic & International, Andrew David, will continue as CEO of Qantas Domestic until he retires in September 2023.

The Qantas Group has appointed Cameron Wallace in the new role of CEO of Qantas International & Freight, while the previous CEO of Qantas Domestic & International, Andrew David, will continue as CEO of Qantas Domestic until he retires in September 2023.

The role of Qantas Domestic & International CEO was combined during COVID-19 and the change announces a new phase of growth and renewal for the national carrier as the role returns to two separate portfolios from 1 July 2023.

This will provide the management bandwidth as each business welcomes new aircraft and expands its network. Both roles will report to Qantas Group CEO Alan Joyce.

Formerly with Air New Zealand, Cameron Wallace has more than two decades of aviation experience within the Asia Pacific region and joins the Group in his new role on 1 July 2023.

He will be responsible for growing Qantas International’s capacity to 100 per cent of pre-pandemic levels and beyond and guiding preparations for Project Sunrise through to the first flight in late 2025.

sunrise-project
Qantas Project Sunrise.

“It’s an honour to be joining Qantas, especially at a time when it’s investing so heavily in aircraft and service,” Mr Wallace said.

“It’s the world leader in opening up direct international routes, and Project Sunrise is one of the most exciting things happening in aviation. I’m really looking forward to working with Alan and the team.”

Andrew David will remain as CEO of Qantas Domestic until his retirement from the Group. A recruitment process to fill this role will commence soon.

“I’ve worked for five airlines in some 30 years of my aviation career,” Mr David said.

“The Qantas Group is an amazing organisation made up of incredibly skilled and passionate people, which makes it hard to leave. My family all live in New Zealand and the past few years have obviously been very difficult in that respect, so I’m looking forward to spending a lot more time with them from September.”

Qantas Alan Joyce e1520988325970
Qantas Group CEO Alan Joyce.

Qantas Group CEO Alan Joyce said: “At the start of the pandemic, we rationalised the two CEO roles for Qantas Domestic and Qantas International down to one given what was happening to our business.”

“With Andrew retiring and given the amount of investment now in the pipeline, it makes sense to again have separate CEOs for the International and Domestic businesses, which are both back to generating billions in revenue each year.

“The Qantas Group has always been able to attract top talent and Cam Wallace is one of the best airline executives in the region.

“He brings over two decades of airline experience, including his long career at Air New Zealand, with responsibilities spanning sales, revenue management, market development, alliances and cargo,” Mr Joyce said.

For more info, head to qantas.com