Industry HQ

Share this article

Movers + Shakers: Sydney Airport names Scott Charlton as new CEO

Sydney Airport has announced Scott Charlton as its new high-flying Chief Executive Officer, effective 1 December 2023. It follows the earlier news of outgoing CEO Geoff Culbert’s resignation in May 2023.

Sydney Airport has announced Scott Charlton as its new high-flying Chief Executive Officer, effective 1 December 2023. It follows the earlier news of outgoing CEO Geoff Culbert’s resignation in May 2023.

Mr Charlton brings extensive experience in the infrastructure, transportation and property sectors to the Sydney Airport role as toll road operator Transurban’s CEO since 2012 and Group COO at Lend Lease.

Mr Charlton said: “Sydney Airport is, in my view, the gateway to Australia, the economic heart of NSW and an iconic global infrastructure asset.”

“I am excited and privileged to be given the opportunity to lead some of the most capable and passionate people in aviation.

“I look forward to working with the team to continue to serve and enhance the experiences of our customers, airlines, partners and the local and wider community.”

Sydney Airport Luxury Precinct T1 International Terminal Image 2
T1 International Luxury Precinct at SYD.

Sydney Airport Chair David Gonski said the Board was delighted to welcome Mr Charlton as the new CEO as the aviation industry embarks on post-COVID growth and transformation.

The aviation hub reported an almost 90 per cent recovery on 2019 passenger levels in July 2023.

“Scott brings strong commercial, operational and project delivery experience along with a deep understanding of government and the Australian regulatory environment,” Mr Gonski said.

“The Board looks forward to working with Scott through this period and again thanks Geoff for his skilled leadership during one of the most significant and disruptive periods in aviation history.”

Geoff Culbert announced his resignation in May 2023 after six years as Sydney Airport CEO.

Find out more at sydneyairport.com.au