TNZ 24 Oct 2022 Takeover
TNZ 24 Oct 2022 Takeover

Industry HQ

Share this article

The Interview: Peter Ross & Jackie Snell, Senior Ntl Acct Mgrs, Qantas Agency Partnerships

Peter Ross and Jackie Snell head up the high-flying Qantas Agency Partnership & Leisure Sales teams, managing the complex and ever-changing relationship between the airline and its agency partners and being "cheerleaders" for their teams, customers, stakeholders and the industry at large.

Peter Ross and Jackie Snell head up the high-flying Qantas Agency Partnership & Leisure Sales teams, managing the complex and ever-changing relationship between the airline and its agency partners and being “cheerleaders” for their teams, customers, stakeholders and the industry at large.

Pete has a wealth of insider knowledge gained from more than six years at Qantas, starting in Loyalty and various Frequent Flyer positions before landing the Senior National Account Manager role.

Likewise, Jackie has been flying the Qantas flag for 11 years, including time spent at Jetstar. Jackie says she draws on her extensive experience as a travel agent to build a certain rapport with her stakeholders that can only be gained from a common love of the industry and time spent in the trenches.

Jackie reflects on the challenges the industry faced “keeping the lights on” during the pandemic and is looking forward to continuing to see the industry recover in leaps and bounds over the next 12 months.

The duo shares optimism for the Australian travel industry’s recovery, championing the sector as it navigates through recent challenges for clear skies ahead.

What’s happening in your business, and how does the forthcoming period look?

Pete: The future is looking bright. The entire Qantas team is doing everything we can to get the airline back to its best and ensure we continue to serve Australia.

PRoss QFJumper
Pete rocking some stylish Qantas brand merch.

We’ve been upfront that our operational performance has not met our customers’ expectations or our own high standards, so we made changes to improve performance: adjusting our schedule and capacity settings, hiring more staff and investing in airport technology for smoother check-in and boarding. The good news is we’re already seeing improvements and expect to be largely back to pre-COVID performance levels next month.

Jackie: It’s been a really busy period, and there are no signs of slowing down soon. We’re adding new and exciting destinations like New York, Seoul and Rome and entering new strategic partnerships such as codesharing with IndiGO in India.

Jac Berlin
Jackie on a visit to Berlin.

We’re working with agency partners on marketing and engagement activity as capacity returns to the market and recently relaunched our learning hub platform with tailored content to meet current industry needs. It’s also been all hands on deck to assist our operational teams ahead of the upcoming busy school holiday period.

What are you excited about right now?

Pete: I’ve spent the past few months travelling the country, reconnecting with teams and partners face-to-face. After a few years of staring at the screen, there’s nothing like being back together. There’s an underlying confidence that we’re getting closer to a ‘new normal’ for travel, and it’s exciting to feel that optimism.

PRoss 3Capes TAS
Pete tackling the Three Capes Walk in Tasmania.

Jackie: The booking and service efficiencies developed through the Qantas Distribution Platform are exciting. NDC technology modernises our agency partners’ retailing experience and delivers more value through innovation and new and bespoke content.

Any trends you’ve seen that are driving change at Qantas or the industry?

Pete: The move towards sustainable travel is a trend I see continuing across the aviation industry and a focus at Qantas through the pandemic.

Jac 1st class
Jackie in Qantas First Class.

Jackie: With the world opening up, FOMO is real. People are travelling longer and seeking unique experiences and tailored touring options. After not being able to travel for so long, we’re witnessing high demand for premium cabins as people choose to ‘trade up’ and experience a little luxury on their journey.

What are the biggest challenges for travel?

Pete: The travel industry worldwide is struggling to manage the impacts of absenteeism and an extremely tight labour market just as travel demand takes off.

PRoss LA
Pete in LA.

Jackie: It’s a challenging time, but things are improving, and we’ve been able to continue to grow as a business.

What about the biggest opportunities?

Pete: Technology advancements mean we’ll be able to fly direct to New York from the east coast of Australia on our Airbus A350s in 2025. Project Sunrise will connect Australia non-stop to anywhere in the world in a safe, more sustainable way.

Jac Hangar
Jackie in a Qantas hangar.

Jackie: New aircraft entering the fleet next year as part of Project Winton will provide opportunities for our domestic and regional networks, enabling new routes and providing flexibility to service frequencies. The first A220s will arrive next year, and they’re going to be a step change from the 717s in terms of fuel efficiency and interiors.

How important is leadership right now? What should leadership look like?

Pete: Leadership has never been more important, and we look to leaders whose values we admire. I see myself as a ‘cheerleader’ for stakeholders, whether that’s my team, customers or industry partners, and I give as much context and transparency as possible in my travels. Leadership is as much about communicating during tough times as in the good.

PRoss Jackson
Pete skiing with a friend in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

Jackie: Leadership is very important in the industry right now, particularly after a prolonged period of uncertainty. I admire leaders who are forward-thinking, compassionate and genuine and communicate openly and transparently.

Ensuring teams are engaged in the organisation’s vision while also recognising individual contributions to collective goals is important to foster a happy and healthy workplace. I strive to act as an enabler for my team to do their best work, leveraging their talents by showcasing unique skill sets and encouraging them to take initiative.

Is enough emphasis placed on sustainability in travel and addressing the climate crisis?

Pete: The focus on sustainability across the airline industry is really important. Qantas has committed to making its operations more sustainable, including no single-use plastics by 2027 and a 25 per cent emissions reduction by 2030 to meet net-zero emissions in 2050.

Jac AbuDhabi
Jackie in the deserts of Abu Dhabi.

Jackie: To reach our sustainability targets, we need to work closely with industry and government, particularly for the development of a domestic Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF) industry. It has the potential to benefit all airlines that operate in Australia, not just Qantas.

What are your personal learnings from the pandemic?

Pete: Humans are adaptive creatures. Who would have thought we’d find ways to connect so quickly while we were forced to stay apart?

Whether it was virtual coffee or drinks catch-ups, outdoor exercise or park walks while taking meetings, or even bingeing a new show at the same time in different places, we found ways to maintain connections. Of course, nothing beats IRL, and we’re seeing the desire for face-to-face connection with the current travel demand.

PRoss Wyoming
Pete (middle) with friends in Jackson Hole.

Jackie: The pandemic made me appreciate aviation’s invaluable contribution to Australia and its critical role in our economic recovery while reinforcing my love of the travel industry. Working in an alternate role during lockdown taught me to be more resilient and express gratitude more often for all the wonderful experiences and opportunities I have had in travel.

What’s your message to the industry?

Pete: The best is ahead. While we still have some bumps to navigate, the thrill and excitement of exploring the world are still at the very heart of travel.

PRoss Coachella2
Riding the ups and downs of travel – like Pete at the Coachella Ferris wheel.

Jackie: Focus on the future and invest in tech – don’t risk being left behind. Now is the time to embrace NDC technology advancements to ensure your business can unlock tailored and bespoke content for your customers.

Find out more about Pete and Jackie via LinkedIn.