Australia’s biggest ever cruise season is officially underway, with Sydney staging a spectacular welcome yesterday to mark the maiden arrival of the latest ship to call Australia home – Carnival Cruise Lines’ superliner Carnival Legend
The 88,500-tonne ship enjoyed a legendary entry into Sydney Harbour with the Australian Girls Choir performing a medley of well-known Australian tunes, along with the American and Australian national anthem, with 3000 guests and crew singing along.
Carnival Legend is the first international ship to arrive in Australia for the 2014-15 summer cruise season which will see a record flotilla of more than 35 different ships sailing in local waters, making more than 600 calls to Australian ports and injecting hundreds of millions of dollars into the local economy.
Carnival Legend will sail on 22 cruises from Sydney over the next seven months, giving 55,000 Aussie families and couples a fun-packed holiday and injecting an estimated $20 million into the local economy through passenger and crew spending, supplies, port fees and charges.
Ms Vandekreeke said the cruise line had carried more than 190,000 Australians and New Zealanders on local cruises since 2012.
“Australians have shown a real affinity for Carnival Cruise Lines because we share a similar outlook on life – a passion for fun, new experiences and adventure. It’s because of this great fit that we decided it was time for an encore, bringing Carnival Legend out to join sister ship Carnival Spirit,”
Carnival Legend also boasts a number of features and facilities never before seen in Australia, including a Bonsai Sushi restaurant and the Red Frog Pub with locally brewed ThirstyFrog Summer Ale. For the kids, Hasbro, The Game Show, the whimsical Seuss at Sea program and the Cherry on Top lolly shop are exclusively available in Australian waters on Carnival Legend. Spanning 12 decks, the 293-metre superliner also offers a sports court, jogging track, two-deck fitness centre, 20 restaurants, bars and lounges and world class entertainment.
Fares on Carnival Legend start from $779* per person twin share for a 10-night Pacific Islands cruise departing Sydney October 27, 2014. For more information call 13 31 94, see a travel agent or visit www.carnival.com.au *subject to availability, conditions apply
FAST FACTS ON AUSTRALIA’S LATEST CRUISE SHIP
- During an average week, Carnival Legend guests consume more than 3000 steaks, 2268kg of chicken and poultry, 442kg of salmon, 1500 tomatoes, 13,700 potatoes, 5320 bananas and 3000 apples
- In a month 400kg or 48,000 coffees are consumed and the onboard baristas receive regular training from the Australian Coffee School to ensure every cup meets high Aussie standards
- With a gross registered tonnage of 88,500 tonnes, Carnival Legend is equivalent in tonnage to 77 Manly ferries
- If tipped on her stern, the 293-metre long Carnival Legend would stretch more than 42 metres above the observation deck of Sydney Tower, the city’s tallest building
- At 12 decks high and three footy fields long, Carnival Legend is filled with things to do, see, taste and try
- The ship was christened by British actress Dame Judi Dench in 2002 and originally sailed to Alaska, Hawaii, the Caribbean, Panama Canal and the South Pacific
Are you planning a Carnival Legend trip?
Share this story