North Lake Tahoe sits high atop the Sierra Nevada mountain range and is the picture book definition of a natural paradise. Surrounded by towering pine forests and majestic mountain peaks, there’s simply nothing like it.
The country’s largest alpine lake, Lake Tahoe is chameleon of colour, changing from shades of green to hues of blue depending on the time of the day. The time of the year you visit also determines what you can do. But what never changes is its sheer, natural beauty.
Read on for our spotlight guide on all things North Lake Tahoe…
WELCOME TO NORTH LAKE TAHOE
TOP 5 NORTH LAKE TAHOE MUST DO’S
- The best views of the Sierra Nevada mountain range are easily from the surface of Lake Tahoe itself, so launch yourself into a kayak and paddle through its crystal-clear waters. Stay close to the shore and explore rocky coves and secluded beaches, or venture out into the great depths of the lake and surround yourself in silence. Definitely try the lake’s latest rage, clear bottom kayaking, or try your hand (or should we say legs?) at stand up paddleboarding.
- Visit North Lake Tahoe during winter and sign yourself up for some ski or snowboard lessons from some of the country’s best schools. This part of the lake flaunts some of the best ski resorts (12 in total) in the USA, such as Squaw Valley-Alpine Meadows, Northstar California, Homewood Mountain, Mt. Rose and Diamond Peak. For something a bit different head to Northstar California known for its downhill mountain bike terrain.
- Outside of winter, North Lake Tahoe is an ideal place to hike into the wilderness and immerse yourself back into the analog world. A definite must-do is the Tahoe Rim Trail, which is a 266km long-distance hiking trail which forms a loop around Lake Tahoe in the Sierra Nevada and Carson ranges of California and Nevada.
- For something a little less strenuous, get back in your car and enjoy the 100-kilometre loop known as the Lake Tahoe Scenic Drive. Take it easy as you enjoy the sights along the way, such as innumerable look-out points, parks, beaches and small villages. Definitely stop at Vikingsholm, a hidden castle built in 1929 on the shores of Emerald Bay, and tour its historic grounds. At the end of the day, perhaps whilst you’re sitting by the lake and enjoying a Tahoe rum cocktail on the Tahoe rum trail, you’ll understand just why this drive is considered one of the best in the country…
- Finally, jump aboard an olden-time paddlewheel boat for an amazing 2.5-hour cruise around Emerald Bay. Learn how the lake was formed and its fascinating history as you devour delicious panoramic vistas of the surrounded landscape with a cocktail or beer in hand to accompany your meal. Once back on dry land, pick up some souvenirs to take back home in one of the area’s many quaint lake-side villages.
Get inspired by the following Tahoe Treasures, including amazing day hikes, the best places to go for sunset views, hidden historic sites, summer music festivals, mountain adventures and more!
Aussie’s, in particular, love the Tahoe Ale Trail, which is a celebration of the best bars and beers in the area.
SELF-DRIVE INSIDER GUIDES FOR NORTH LAKE TAHOE
North Lake Tahoe features in the Giant Trees and Ancient Forests itinerary and is the perfect itinerary to explore the magnificent parks and wilderness in Northern California and Nevada.
It’s easily accessible and can easily be added to any self-drive itinerary from San Francisco, Las Vegas or Los Angeles.
Journeying to North Lake Tahoe from San Francisco is ideal as a visit can take in the city life of San Francisco, the surrounding wine country, or visit Sacramento before arriving in North Lake Tahoe.
Outside of San Francisco, North Lake Tahoe can be added to the Pacific Northwest Wine Trail self-drive itineraries. From Las Vegas it can be added to either the Pacific Coast Music Trail or Canyons, Mesas and Hoodoos itinerary, and from Los Angeles, it can be added to the At the Movies self-drive itinerary.
BOOK A GREAT NORTH LAKE TAHOE DEAL!
Viva Holidays are the experts when it comes to self-drive Road Trips through the USA.
No matter where you wanna go, let them take care of all your car hire, activities and accommodation needs. They’ll even help you get to the locations to start your journey and hook you up with some killer deals.
For example, check out this amazing 2-night deal staying in a King Room at Americas Best Value Inn Lake Tahoe from $175* per person twin share. Located on the lake’s northwest shore, you’ll be walking distance from Tahoe city marina and all the activities that set out from here.
Or stay 2 nights at Hyatt Lake Tahoe Spa & Casino from $315* per person twin share. This resort in the tranquil north is the Lake Tahoe’s only lakefront hotel, flaunting a private beach and 26 acres.
Find out more from the USA Self-Drive Specialists: https://agents.vivaholidays.com.au/campaigns/land-only/explore-north-tahoe-roadtrippin-usa-2020
TAKE THE TUNES WITH YOU
AGENTS: CALIFORNIA STAR & THE USA DISCOVERY PROGRAM TRAINING SITES!
Skill up and get inspired by the diversity California offers on the California Star training site.
Join the USA Discovery Program and get accredited as a USA Specialist. Maximise the unique features of the program which include the opportunity to register for live events and webinars, and peer to peer learning.
Earn the Lake Tahoe Badge and learn about all about North Lake Tahoe. Currently, the USA Discovery Program has over 50 badges to complete which offers agents a fun and interactive way to learn about all that the USA has to offer. Click here to register and get all the knowledge for the USA.
PLUS! DESIGN YOUR OWN TRIP WITH THE USA TRIP PLANNER
The Visit USA Trip Planner is an amazing (and free!) tool that matches your personal travel preferences and style.
With over 230 million data points including the best places & times to visit, reviews and hidden gems, this is one smart piece of travel tech.
This little travel genius optimises your itinerary to minimise travel time, checks when attractions are open and even recommends how much time to spend at each stop off. Brilliant!
Finally, it lets you share & collaborate with your fellow road trippers and is easy to add or revise points of interest as you go.
Find out more: www.trip-planner.visittheusa.com
GET ALL THE TOOLS ON BRAND USA’S TRAVEL TRADE SITE
From Trip Planners to Itineraries and the USA Discovery Program and Destination information, Brand USA’s Travel Trade Site for agents has you covered.
This article was brought to you by:
Share this story