Industry HQ

Share this article

Project Karma announces new Executive Director

Project Karma, the organisation established by Glen Hulley to combat human trafficking and sexual exploitation of children has appointed a new Executive Director, Mark Luckey, MD roomsXML Asia Pacific.

Project Karma, the organisation established by Glen Hulley to combat human trafficking and sexual exploitation of children has appointed a new Executive Director, Mark Luckey, MD roomsXML Asia Pacific.

Project Karma CEO Glen Hulley says “ I admire Mark’s skills in business, his compassion, his many commitments to charitable causes and his tenacious determination and no fear attitude to a challenge. I also proudly call him my friend”

Glenn continues “His efforts in raising awareness of connections between tourism and transnational child sex offenders and advocating Project Karma to the travel industry helped us form valuable links. I am thrilled he has accepted the position”.

Mark Luckey says “It was a great honour to be asked by Glen to be a director. His sacrifice and committment in establishing Project Karma has been enormous, and the benefits delivered are already apparent.  So to be invited to be part of helping liberate children from sexual slavery is one of the most humbling experiences I have had in my professional career”.

Mark Luckey, Project Karma’s new Executive Director

Nearly 2 million children are used in the commercial sex trade, where they routinely face sexual and physical violence. Comparatively the total number of children in New South Wales is 1.36 million.

25 known child sex offenders fly from Australia to northern parts of Bali each month. Northern Bali is now the most prolific location for child sex offences.

Project Karma is tackling organised crime. The Global industry in underage sex trafficking is worth $36.6bn annually.

Globalisation and unregulated economic growth have resulted in growing economic disparities. This, in conjunction with the continued expansion of the use of the Internet, increased migration, exponential growth of tourism, natural disasters, conflicts and violence, have all contributed to put more children at risk of sexual exploitation than was previously the case.

A recent report by a global network of groups against child sex slavery concludes is a “massive human rights violation that is currently going largely unnoticed around the world”.

For more information about project Karma visit www.projectkarma.org.au

What do you think about the initiative behind Project Karma?